My Fit NOT arriving

Page 1 of 2
Bad news from the dealer. It's been a month since ordering and he says to try another color (I wanted the orange). I think that it's bait and switch. I don't think that they sell Fits at MSRP. I could try the
Storm Silver Metallic which looks pretty good.
I have to make a decision pretty quickly since I'm going to need to put money into my 91 Accord soon. I must change the timing belt (I'm now at 94,000) and it needs so much other stuff. I'd do it if the rust around the wheel wells wasn't so bad, but it is bad.

Why?
Do you even know what "bait and switch" is? Or are you just another ignoramus who's not getting what he wants in the world, and has to have someone to blame something horrific on?
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:29:25 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Wow, you're a pretty nasty guy. I'm glad that I don't actually have to deal with you in real life.

What do you suppose your colleagues think when you say things like "I don't like it--therefore it must be bait and switch!"
So just go about your life, spouting crap like that without knowing what you're talking about.
dgk wrote:

you need to learn how to understand what elmo's actually telling you. otherwise you'll be the loser in virtually every negotiation you ever have. read elmo's post again - what he's saying is:
1. it's not bait & switch 2. you're not a victim unless you want to be.
the likely scenario, and the logical one if you bother to think about it, is that the dealer's having trouble sourcing what you ordered, but because of the delay is offering you an alternative. therefore, you now have two options:
i. keep on waiting, or ii. settle for a different color.
if you somehow misinterpret that as "bait & switch", it's your [in]ability to deal with the situation that's the problem and you're going to end up feeling screwed whatever the outcome.
get real, pay attention, make a decision and stick to it. assert what you want and keep on asserting it until you get it. bleating about being a victim before anything actually happens means you already are one.

More information needed. Bait and switch literally means just drawing you in to shop but not having what was advertised. However, allowing a customer to order something knowing that it isn't going to come in is even worse.
I went to another Honda dealer before using this one, and the first dealer came up with a price of $19,000 before tax. I said that I wouldn't pay over MSRP and she said that other dealers can't get the car but they can. I didn't really believe her but now I do. I think my current dealer did know that it was unlikely that I would get what I ordered.
I can't prove it, and I could certainly be wrong but there really isn't anything to do about it but try for another color and give them another week or two. Then I just cancel the deal and spend some money fixing up the Accord.
dgk wrote:

Yes, but unless the dealer advertised an orange Fit, it's not bait-and-switch.
As for your other assertion, you would have to prove that the dealer KNEW an orange Fit would never be available. In fact, from other tales here, he may have fully believed and expected he could get you one in orange... and it's Honda that hasn't come through. Jumping all over the dealer prematurely is just ignorant and immature.

Now you're getting into conspiracy theories. Honda will sell you can through one dealer, but another? Why the hell should they care which dealer it goes through? The second dealer KNOWS he can't get a certain car in, but tries to sell you one anyway? Think about it for a moment... he doesn't get a dime of your money until your car actually arrives (unless you're REALLY stupid). Why would he waste his time and energy trying to get you to buy a car that he knows he can't provide? Especially when you (presumably) made it clear up front that you wanted EXACTLY what you wanted? It just doesn't make sense.

Tell the dealer if he REALLY wants to make the sale, he can take a couple grand off the price and give you the silver or some other color, and then you can take that money and just have the thing repainted.

Good points but I don't think I can get much off the price. Too much demand. I asked for a cargo net and cover but we'll see. The silver looks pretty nice but the Orange was even better. They had a silver non-sport 5-speed and offered me that one but I want the sport. And while I love manual transmissions, I had a bad experience a few years back and I think those days are done.
I was away with a large group of friends and managed to break an ankle. Out of thirty people there, only one girl could drive a stick, and she wasn't too good at it. Since my Significant Other also can't drive one, it would seem like a bad idea.
Well, two weeks and the car comes or it doesn't.
dgk wrote:

I once blew out my left knee - folded my leg right back the wrong way. Had a 4-speed GLC at the time. To shift, I had to basically just rest my left foot on the clutch, then push down on my knee with my left hand while shifting with the right. That wasn't fun.

Good luck...
snipped-for-privacy@somewhere.com says...

$19K? Are those US or Canadian dollars?
From what I've seen of it, I like the Fit a lot, but I'd like it a lot more if it were at a $13K price point for the Sport model as opposed to the $16-18K I've seen bandied about. For that kind of cash, I'd be looking at a new Civic or a pre-owned Accord.
And yes, I know the Fit addresses requirements that a Civic or an Accord do not (cargo space, fuel economy), but if I were seriously considering a Fit now, I'd have to take a hard look at how much of a premium I'm willing to pay for those requirements, and what other makes out there would be potential alternatives for less money. As others have pointed out, the situation will probably be different in a year or two when Fits are more numerous on dealer lots.
Dave

That was US dollars. I told her that I'd buy an Accord for that and she said that they sell lots of Accords and Civics but not many Fits.
The Fit really does fit my needs however. I would have preferred 13k also but I got it for 16k. Plus tax and whatever. I've only owned one new car in my life (a Datsun B210 which was around $3500 when I bought it as I recall) so what the hell.
Or should I say that I haven't actually gotten it for 16k as of now but maybe someday soon.
One really good thing for me is that parking is very tight in my neighborhood (I live one block from a major commuter college) and if your car sticks out of your driveway and blocks the sidewalk at all you get a ticket. A car this small will allow me to park two cars in the driveway and not get a ticket. Now, I admit, I can pay an awful lot of tickets for the price of the car, but they do add up.
Dave Garrett wrote:

Good ol' supply and demand.
Keep in mind it's also a first-gen model, so they're probably trying to offset some development costs with that pricing as well.
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 09:29:25 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Well Elmo, perhaps it wasn't. I just saw the dealer and they said that they can get the Metallic Silver one within two weeks. So I wait a bit more. Now there is a bit of confusion on the Accord timing belt issue so that gets a new thread.
dgk wrote:

It seems like Honda sometimes tells dealers what they will get rather than dealers or customers getting to order what they want. A strange way to do business, but with a sold-out hit like the Fit I guess they can get away with it.
John

I guess that's it. The dealer is right on my bike commute home so I'll drop in this afternoon and see what can be done. I suspect that I'm going to just keep my 91 running another year or two.
John Horner wrote:

IIRC, VW back in the late 1950's was in the same position. Often, one had to wait for the car of their choice or settle for what might be available. I had a six week wait for my new (the only new car I ever bought) '61 sunroof.
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Just imagine how pissed dgk woulda been shopping for a Model T. "People can have the Model T in any colour--so long as it's black." - Henry Ford

Not really, I wouldn't have signed a contract and given Henry a grand deposit for a Metallic Orange one.

The last factory orange Honda I can recall was the ~1973 - ~1976 Civic. Maybe that is a message.
dgk wrote:

    Shoot for 100K on the belt. It will make it unless you race the car on weekends.     Good luck on the Fit. I saw a white one up close last week and decided not to buy one. Too small for me. bob