My Latest Honda Love Affair... $100

Last fall, I had the opportunity to buy three gen II Civics for $100 each.

One is an '81 with a great body but bad engine.

The second is an '83 that was heavily vandalized but has a good engine/automatic. Got it started and in spite of having a totally broken windshield, it ran and all the instruments worked. Tranny is strong as well.

The third is an '82 automatic that I've chosen to refurb for another daily driver. It last ran in 1983. Didn't take take much to get it running and then I set out to take care of the little things to make it roadworthy. Replaced the front struts, alternator/regulator, tires and attempted to bleed the brakes with minimal success but no replacement of parts.

Got to drive it down a back road yesterday and it shifts great, has plenti of stamina and rides nice 'n quiet. The drive revealed that one of the front axles is noisy, but I scored a rebuilt pair on eBay for $50 including shipping yesterday. I also have all the parts to completely rebuild the brakes and will set on that next week.

Damned... I now have six Civics!

Life is good.

JT

(Who's waiting for the price of gas to go to $5 per gallon!)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Great story, but you must have a hangar for garage. pj

Reply to
P J

and all this time, you could be have been driving an 88-91, getting better mileage, a 4-speed auto transmission, much better handling, and the reliability of fuel injection.

Reply to
jim beam

I think the point is he has paid a mere $350 or so for a great car with many spare parts that runs well, whereas he would pay around a $1000 or more for a decently running 88-91 with no spare parts. It is not clear that the 88-91 would be a better choice. Plus $350 is a mighty cheap price for a love affair.

Reply to
honda.lioness

Pay no attention to beam. He is a wretched wannabe bully pedant whose scope of view reflects such limitation.

That said, you are right in your assessment.

First, 1983 and older Hondas are "old school" in engineering and function. If one has a strong background on how things used to be made, they will be comfortable "doing-it-yourself" maintenance/repair on these cars. They were superbly engineered with the result that most tasks are simple and straight forward.

Work on the '82 is progressing nicely. The only work that remains is the timing belt, brake bleed, (I did replace all major components), and valve adjustment. Maybe a quickie paint job later in the spring.

beam's (lower case intentional), contention that a '92 handles better is open to debate as my personal experience is that not many cars can exceed the roadability of the Gen 1 and Gen II Civics as opposed to their larger by more cumbersome Accords not to mention today's top heavy designs.

Lastly, fuel injection requires a computer and IMNSHO such only belongs on a desktop or lap. Big advantage here is that Gen II Civic parts are dirt cheap and plentiful. The '82 with only 134K miles on it should have be a of relatively trouble free service for the next ten years.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

goddamned pedants. just think how much cheaper it would to be to fly if we didn't need to inspect planes. or rent condos if we didn't need to inspect elevators. pharmacists? just pointlessly limited pedants.

why bother when you can have a computer do the job for you? and do it better and more reliably?

don't read very closely do you?

seems you have no clue just how ubiquitous computers are in modern life. there's hardly a damned thing these days that doesn't contain one - they're called microcontrollers. they are EVERYWHERE.

jim beam

This last point especially adds value, IMO. To the naysayers, there are enough enthusiasts for this generation that honda-tech.com has a well-attended forum dedicated to same.

Where are you buying them? Increasingly I see sites that do not go back anywhere near this far.

A steal.

Who will do your paint work?

Reply to
honda.lioness

Mostly on eBay. Northern Auto is a good source for after market stuff as well. Even Rock Auto has a good supply of items through regular suppliers and they are fast!

Me. In the backyard in a tent!

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire