My Si has a DX motor!

the thing i find interesting is the fact that it's clearly not been an issue all this time. i've just got myself another crx, 1990 dx, and it absolutely flies. i'm sure that upgrading from 2pfi to 4pfi would improve performance further, but i wonder how much difference there is between a "good" d15 and a "not so good" d16. since there's always variance in output from engine to engine - speculating, you could therefore argue that the difference could be approaching that of the variance "noise".

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:xaOdnZQaOJz_TiHYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Didya check first to see what motor was in it? ;-)

Wasn't it Smokey Yunick who said "there's no substitute for cubic inches"?

you will get more torque from more displacement.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Maybe but torque is a direct result of stroke whereas a short stroker will enjoy a faster windup...

How's dat fer a daffynishun?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Absolutely!

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

There are plenty out there - I've read positive comments about these folks as well -

Yeah, I was thinking of B18s re: 200hp - the B16s are usually around

160.

I thought that link looked familiar, it's the same dude with the "Larry's Civic" page. Looks like really top-notch work, but until I win the lottery, I'll probably stick with something considerably less exotic.

ZCs seem to be around 130, but some people think that number is understated.

Definitely. I've never been too happy with the stock brakes with the current engine, so I'd probably do a brake upgrade at the same time as the engine swap.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

Well, JT's got a point, but now that I've already opened my virtual mouth, the cat's out of the bag. Now that I think back on it, I had indications it was a 1.5L after comments from the shops who did timing belt changes at 60K and 115K, but they never mentioned the engine number stamped on the block or the possibility that it wasn't the original engine. And it's really not as big of a deal as I probably made it sound, especially since I've been considering a swap anyway for quite some time.

The D15 in the DX is rated at 90hp, and the D16 in the Si is rated at

110hp. My car's not exactly sluggish, and the current engine runs well, but that's still a pretty healthy amount of power to be giving away, especially in such a light car.

Oh, and JT, this one's for you:

Too bad an engine swap is even being discussed - I'd leave it exactly as is. Actually, the $3200 he spent on paint would've paid for one hell of a mechanical restoration, plus a "normal" paint job.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

I've seen CRX shells, with no motor or trans, sell for more than $700. Trade-in values are always ridiculously low, but I can't imagine many CRX owners trying to trade them in at a dealer vs. a private sale. Anyone who doesn't think $1500-2000 for a generally clean, unmodified

88-91 CRX is easily attainable isn't familiar with how much in demand these cars still are. A really nice one that's been well-maintained by an original owner will sell for considerably more.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

Heh heh... I have '82 and '83 1300 hatchbacks. Maybe I should pimp 'em out for "big" bucks!

JT

(Could I shoe horn a V6 in one of them thar' suckahs???)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

do you use oem pads or aftermarket? my experience with aftermarket pads is very poor - bad wear, bad fade, poor stopping power... now i use oem and am very happy. and this opinion was recently re-reinforced by my new crx that has aftermarket pads - just doesn't stop like it should.

Reply to
jim beam

that's insane. don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful thing, but i want a car that goes - that means goes fast, stops fast, and pulls g's when cornering. the old cvcc's are just not on a par with the 88-91's in any way.

Reply to
jim beam

no kidding. i just paid $1k for an unmodded crx - one lady owner from new. 105k miles. immaculate inside. 100% stock [apart from the brake pads]. never crashed. paint's not so great, but it's all stock. i've only had it a week, but already i've had two people offer to buy it!

Reply to
jim beam

I've used both in the past, but I just had the brakes redone several weeks ago, and OEM pads were used. Had to have the brake booster replaced last year when it failed catastrophically (that was exciting, as it happened on the freeway), and the master cylinder was replaced prior to that. I'm thinking about installing braided stainless lines to see if that improves things, but will probably wind up converting to 'teg brakes sooner or later.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

Well, yeah, but the old cvcc's are fine around-town cars - you just have to adjust your expectations performance-wise accordingly.

OTOH, there's this:

I've come to the conclusion that no matter how extreme something is car- wise, someone's probably not only thought of it already but has actually done it. Case in point: there's a guy on the cover of either the current or last month's issue of Super Street who has shoehorned a 700hp turbo K-series engine into a Fit. And it's not a stripped-down race car.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

Congratulations. That's the kind of deal you just have to be in the right place at the right time for. What model is it, a DX?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garrett

yes, dx auto. i want auto because of a knee problem and have been assembling parts from the 90-91 ex auto, originally so i could put the d16a6 4pfi + auto into my 89 civic hatch. i think the crx is now the candidate! if that goes well, maybe i'll do the b20 + auto swap from a prelude on the civic...

Reply to
jim beam

Welcome to the new Improved Google Groups, where one of the improvements is replying to postings only to the first group listed unless you manually add the others. And to think that they're too humble to even try to publicize this improvement.

Well, I doubt any dealers check every used car they sell to ensure that it's got the right engine, any more than private buyers do. I tried to buy a used Sentra SER from the local Nissan dealer, and they couldn't tell me whther that car had ABS or not. They were pretty sure it had disk brakes though; they gleaned this info from the chrome circle impressed into the brake pedal.

"z" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

You mean Google, the company that's chock-a-block with really, really smart PhD's? They did this?

Reply to
Tegger

Ah, remember that education and intelligence are distinct concepts! (It is really mean to ask a college recruiter, "How much will my IQ increase if I graduate from your institution?") Or maybe it's the same as the way donuts make me smarter: after I've eaten a couple I know I shouldn't have, and that's obviously *way* more than I knew to start with.

Reply to
Michael Pardee