My Si has a DX motor!

Page 3 of 3

And does it matter now, if it wasn't a problem all those years?
Michael Pardee wrote:

If it were me... I wouldn't even admit it!
<G>
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

the thing i find interesting is the fact that it's clearly not been an issue all this time. i've just got myself another crx, 1990 dx, and it absolutely flies. i'm sure that upgrading from 2pfi to 4pfi would improve performance further, but i wonder how much difference there is between a "good" d15 and a "not so good" d16. since there's always variance in output from engine to engine - speculating, you could therefore argue that the difference could be approaching that of the variance "noise".

Didya check first to see what motor was in it? ;-)

Wasn't it Smokey Yunick who said "there's no substitute for cubic inches"?
you will get more torque from more displacement.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Maybe but torque is a direct result of stroke whereas a short stroker will enjoy a faster windup...
How's dat fer a daffynishun?
JT

Absolutely!
snipped-for-privacy@bad.example.net says...

Well, JT's got a point, but now that I've already opened my virtual mouth, the cat's out of the bag. Now that I think back on it, I had indications it was a 1.5L after comments from the shops who did timing belt changes at 60K and 115K, but they never mentioned the engine number stamped on the block or the possibility that it wasn't the original engine. And it's really not as big of a deal as I probably made it sound, especially since I've been considering a swap anyway for quite some time.
The D15 in the DX is rated at 90hp, and the D16 in the Si is rated at 110hp. My car's not exactly sluggish, and the current engine runs well, but that's still a pretty healthy amount of power to be giving away, especially in such a light car.
Oh, and JT, this one's for you:
http://www.houston-imports.com/forums/showthread.php?t51953
Too bad an engine swap is even being discussed - I'd leave it exactly as is. Actually, the $3200 he spent on paint would've paid for one hell of a mechanical restoration, plus a "normal" paint job.
Dave
Dave Garrett wrote:

Heh heh... I have '82 and '83 1300 hatchbacks. Maybe I should pimp 'em out for "big" bucks!
JT
(Could I shoe horn a V6 in one of them thar' suckahs???)
Dave Garrett wrote:

that's insane. don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful thing, but i want a car that goes - that means goes fast, stops fast, and pulls g's when cornering. the old cvcc's are just not on a par with the 88-91's in any way.
snipped-for-privacy@bad.example.net says...

Well, yeah, but the old cvcc's are fine around-town cars - you just have to adjust your expectations performance-wise accordingly.
OTOH, there's this:
http://ns.netmcr.com/~mdouglas/civic1200.html
I've come to the conclusion that no matter how extreme something is car- wise, someone's probably not only thought of it already but has actually done it. Case in point: there's a guy on the cover of either the current or last month's issue of Super Street who has shoehorned a 700hp turbo K-series engine into a Fit. And it's not a stripped-down race car.
Dave

I can't speak for San Francisco, but around here (Dallas area) I have found the Edmunds numbers to be a maximum you can only aspire to. You did notice that it is the trade-in value, not suggested retail? My experience has been if you drive into a dealer with a 17 year old car of any type or pedigree, the offer will be about $50.
E. Meyer wrote:

yeah, and all the service techs take them home to sell on the private market for a good deal more. except the crx's - they keep those. the dealer near where i live always has a bunch of crx's out the back where the staff park.
snipped-for-privacy@bad.example.net says...

I've seen CRX shells, with no motor or trans, sell for more than $700. Trade-in values are always ridiculously low, but I can't imagine many CRX owners trying to trade them in at a dealer vs. a private sale. Anyone who doesn't think $1500-2000 for a generally clean, unmodified 88-91 CRX is easily attainable isn't familiar with how much in demand these cars still are. A really nice one that's been well-maintained by an original owner will sell for considerably more.
Dave
Dave Garrett wrote:

no kidding. i just paid $1k for an unmodded crx - one lady owner from new. 105k miles. immaculate inside. 100% stock [apart from the brake pads]. never crashed. paint's not so great, but it's all stock. i've only had it a week, but already i've had two people offer to buy it!
snipped-for-privacy@bad.example.net says...

Congratulations. That's the kind of deal you just have to be in the right place at the right time for. What model is it, a DX?
Dave
Dave Garrett wrote:

yes, dx auto. i want auto because of a knee problem and have been assembling parts from the 90-91 ex auto, originally so i could put the d16a6 4pfi + auto into my 89 civic hatch. i think the crx is now the candidate! if that goes well, maybe i'll do the b20 + auto swap from a prelude on the civic...
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:04:19 -0500, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Sometimes, this works to the buyer's advantage, too.
My last Dodge Caravan was bought from a local Dodge dealer, used. When I went there, he offered me a test drive, explaining that it was a 4-cylinder, but had plenty of power.
I drove it, and was certain that it was a 6. I had previously owned 2 6 cylinder 3.3L caravan's, and this one had the same feel, power-wise.
When he went in to get me a final price (based on it being a 4), I popped the hood, and verified it was a 3.3L. It had only 30K on it, and I walked away with it for just over $8,000.
I sure as hell wasn't telling him they had it marked wrong... ;-)
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:02:32 -0600, Dave Garrett wrote:

If the dealer knew...

What are the first eight digits of your VIN? This will tell you what engine the car originally shipped with.
What country are you in? Different engines were used in different markets.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ