Mysterious Check Engine Light

I have been having this problem with my 1991 Accura Integra for about a year now:
Usually when i first put the key in the ignition, the check engine light
will come on, but go off after a couple of seconds, and the car will start perfectly. However, other times, the light will stay on and as long as the light is lit, the engine refuses to start. It SOUNDS perfectly normal, just like it does when it starts with the light off, (i mean the cranking and everything it usually does before it starts), but nothing actually ever catches on. If i wait sometimes, the light will go off, and immediately the car will be able to start. It seems that as long as the light is on - no start, but if off - it always starts perfectly fine. So it appears from the driver's perspective that the car's ability to start is purely a function of the light's being on or off.
Does anybody know why this happens? it seems to happen slightly more when it is hot outside.
Thanks in advance for any info
kevin bieri

www.tegger.com see "main relay".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm thinking that too, but I want to see what the code is.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

See my reply to this identical message in alt.autos.acura.
Learn how to correctly cross-post.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ