Need advice

This is my first time on this group so I don't know if I'm in the right place. But here goes. We passed onto our son our 1991 Honda Accord and being a young man he wants to fix it up. He wants a muffler that's sounds great. What type are the young kids getting installed? I don't want it too loud but he wants the sound that's cool. Any advice would help.

Reply to
Gashauler

The one I would suggest is a muffler that doesn't allow you to know the engine is running, when you're standing alongside it. Your neighbours will appreciate that one also.

Reply to
Brian Smith

OMG, what is it with these kids wanting to put stuff that "sounds great" on old cars? Just be sure that his muffler is not the size of a coffee can and tell him NOT to put stickers all over that car advertising parts that are NOT installed.

Now that I am off my soapbox, you son could always put a Flowmaster 60 Series cat back system on the 1991 Accord. Borla and Magnaflow also make cat back systems for that particular year Accord and all of those are decent sounding mufflers.... well at least on V8 engines they are.... Personally, for a smaller engine, I think the chambered design of the Flowmaster would probably sound better on the Accord, but that is just my opinion. I just can't stand those Civics with their useless fart cannons.

Reply to
DJ NoMore

Tell him the one that's on there sounds just fine. As in, you can't really hear it.

Tell him to spend his money on a girl and not a stupid friggin muffler.

Reply to
Dan C

Hi, My son went thru that with his first car. First thing we did was souping up the suspension so he can have better ride and control/handling.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The car is about the same age as he is. Tell him to save the money for college, retirement (now is a great time to introduce the value of compounding if you haven't ) or a new house.

My muffler on my car sounds really cool. You can barely tell the engine is running with it on. My neighbors love it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

well said!

besides, fart can mufflers, stickers, whale tails, oversized alloys, lowering springs, they're all cop magnets. and that gets /way/ expensive.

if he must spend money on the car, have him buy the best quality rubber he can for the wheels, decent shocks [no lowering], and make sure the engine is tuned right.

Reply to
jim beam

Good advice.

Bad advice!

While the first issue of the muffler is relatively temporary, the second can lead to life long woes...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

OEM.

Reply to
L Alpert

Heh, I suppose that's true... But, I didn't say he had to marry the girl, just spend some money on her...

Reply to
Dan C

The beginning of a long hard road for you I can see. My son managed to ignore me advising him to leave well enough alone and ruin a number of decent cars that I wound up having to put right at great expense. For example, lowering a real nice Accord 5 speed then bottoming it out to the point where a half shaft pulled loose from the transaxle. If that was not enough, he kept on driving it until the transmission ran out of oil and was ruined. New transmission, clutch and other assorted parts -- around $4,000.00 . I could go on, but I get sick thinking of it. After the repair, he totalled the car -- . My advice is let him live with whatever mistakes he makes which he will.

Reply to
tww1491

download some digital tracks and play them on an uprated sound system. spend the rest of the budget on spinners, and maybe some rice boy t-shirts. kidz will be kidz, but putting noisy mufflers on an Accord is, um, got to be a better way.

J.

Reply to
JXStern