Need help deciding between a 02 civic and 06 corolla

Hello, I am trying to decide between two vehicles to help me save gas. I am driving a dang silverado that is costing me 25-30 a day in gas. A lady from
church has a 02 LX civic that she bought brand new. It has 45k miles on it and is in impeccable condition.No one has ever touched it except the Honda dealer. She wants 7k for it and the book on it is 8500 in good shape and 7500 in fair shape. I drove it today and liked it except for a few things, it is NOT a muscle car or course but has adaquate power for my needs.Also the power steering felt like it was not as easy as it should be and the fluid looked fine. May just be the nature of this model.
My brother has a 2006 corolla sport model with 64k on it, it is also in perfect conditon and will run circles in power around the civic. He wants 9k for it. Both these prices are firm. Meant to add both have AT transmissions. I am leaning towards the honda even though the civic is 4 years older. I have owned both honda's and toyota's and I have better service out of the honda's plus their customer service is a heck of a lot better than toyota's (after dealing with toyota on a 05 tundra lemon it left a bad taste in my mouth).
The only concern I have is after doing some research I found that the 02 civic had some transmission issues. Just wanted you folks who owned one your opinion.
Thanks
Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
On 08/22/2011 07:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

girlfriend had one. the transmission blew dead on 110k miles. if these were my only two choices, and given that they're both macpherson, i'd go for the toyota.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

...the transmission blew dead on 110k miles. if these

I would go for a Honda with manual transmission.

And four cylinders.
That is, if you wanted to go with a Honda.
You can't buy the 02 $7K car, which is worth $8.5 then sell it for $8.5?
That's just me.
Well, the verdict was the lady backed out of selling the civic, I drove the corolla and that thing make my back and legs go numb within a few minutes, no matter what position the seat was in. Why can't someone make a small car with seats as comfortable as my 01 avalon with leather seats, That was the most comfortable car I ever sat in. However, the MPG on that thing sucked big time! 16 in town was the best it ever got. I really liked the corolla but I would hate a car that I could not drive. That is also the reason my brother was selling it, it bothered his back real bad also.