need help with 93 accord CV boot replacement

can anyone tell me how easy/hard it is to replace ? the boot right at the wheel is ripped.

thanks

Reply to
J Oat

If the boot is torn open, then it's too late to just replace the boot. Dirt and other crud will have gotten into the CV joint and it will soon be noisy if it isn't already. The outer joint needs to be replaced. This is most easily accomplished by installing a rebuilt axle. How easy it is depends on your level of experience and the amount of rust on your car. For an experienced mechanic with the right tools on a car without too much rust, the job typically takes 30 min with air tools and maybe an hour or so with just hand tools. If the car has rust and if certain bolts have never been moved since the car was originally assembled, then it can be a frustrating experience even for seasoned techs.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Eric is right. Just TRIED to re-boot the left inner on a '93 Accord, and had to replace the whole shaft when the inner CV would NOT come off the shaft. Ball joint and fork disassembly is a bitch without the right tools. bob

Reply to
N.E.Ohio Bob

A shop I used when I had more money than time did the axle on my daughter's '93 Accord LX for about $100 rebuilt part and $65 labor... then charged me another $80 for a thrust alignment that was totally unnecessary and never approved. Grr. Anyway, although others have had bad experiences with aftermarket rebuilt axles, this NAPA part is holding up at the 5 year point. You pay your money and take your chances....

I did the other side myself (and since make a point of doing both sides together) and spent a morning on it. I work *very* slowly. A pro, with air tools (I have) and a lift (wish I had) can knock it out in under an hour here in this non-corrosion area.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

That's appears to be an unusual symptom. I've never had problems with an inner joint not coming off the shaft. Are you referring to the tripod inner hub? Was the inner boot cracked or torn? Usually, the inner boots outlive the outer boots by a large margin.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

thanks everyone for great advice. i will let the dealer deal with it since i have neither the tool, know how. this is the first time i have to replace it since 93.

Reply to
J Oat