Need Help with Timing belt:99CivicDX D16Y7

I wish I wouldve found this place a few days ago and followed the advice on changing the timing belt using Paint marks on belt and cam,sprocket.
Instead I did it like the manual said and also placed a long straw down in the#1 spark plug hole to confirm TDC. The car started right up..sounded fine. I took it for a test drive, everything seemed alright for the first 100 yards. Then the car stalled. It seemed to be idling low. Question: Do you think Im one tooth off on the cam or the crank? Or something else? Any advice would be most apreciated. I feel like an idiot.
I just pushed the car over into a parking place, till my 2 days off I got coming up. I did try and start the car and it started right up and sounded good. Thanks in advance
"Qjonny" wrote: > I wish I would've found this forum a few days ago and > followed the advice on changing the timing belt using Paint > marks on belt and cam,sprocket. > > Instead I did it like the manual said and also placed a > long straw down in the#1 spark plug hole to confirm TDC. The > car started right up..sounded fine. I took it for a test > drive, everything seemed alright for the first 100 yards. Then > the car stalled. It seemed to be idling low. > Question: Do you think I'm one tooth off on the cam or the > crank? Or something else? Any advice would be most > apreciated. I feel like an idiot. > > I just pushed the car over into a parking place, till my 2 > days off I got coming up. I did try and start the car and it > started right up and sounded good. Thanks in advance
Your off a tooth on the cam. I know it sucks, but take it apart and do it again. Pay extra attention to the cam marks. Also put a mark on the old setting..so you dont line up on it again.
To be certain you can also use micro gage screwed in like spark plug which will give you exact TDC. Used to use them all the time doing motorcydle repairs. s