nerdspeak in crv awd

just curious what "real time awd" on crv stands for: does it mean "a regular fwd pos that engages rear wheel[s] on demand (that is: too late)"? or both axles get power delivered when the road is completely dry? yes, i briefly checked the honda website: they don't seem to bother to explain.

thanks

Reply to
isquat

----------------------------

If the front starts slipping the rear starts pushing. Just like having a few friends along to get you out of snowbanks, however it can engage at higher speeds, like when leaving icy intersections. I greatly enjoy looking in the rear-view mirror and watch all the 'road polishers' from a half block away. Normal driving, the rear just gets towed along for the ride, thus the waste of fuel due to friction and more weight.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

does the awd hooks up immediately when you floor the gas pedal on slippery pavement from a dead stop or there is a noticeable delay and wheelspin?

Reply to
isquat

in my AWD element, it would squeal the front tires from a stop. this definitely was not smoking tirespin, they were just barely turning faster than the rear tires - if i had to guess, probably less than 2 mph faster. no noticeable delay at all. i have a friend with an element and he would leave my house in a most abrupt manner, so i got to experience this AWD behavior up close. :~)>

Reply to
bob zee

If you punch it on ice you'll spin all four without any noticable delay for the rears. I think the fronts only have to turn about 3/4 of a revolution before the rears are engaged. If you yank the park brake on ice (clutch in) you'll also lock the front wheels right away. A very shocking sensation if you're used to a FWD.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_