New 2008 Civic MPG

Page 2 of 2
Larry in AZ wrote:

Back in 1969, I was doing documentary film work in Micronesia and we rented a small Honda for about six weeks when in Koror, (Palau). It had no brakes but other than that, it ran flawlessly. Had a motorcycle air cooled engine, (two cylinder).
I knew then that American automakers were going to have a challenged future...
JT
If you want good city mileage the Civic Hybrid or Prius is the way to go, here is a link to the civic hybrid mileage data base
http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/honda-civicii.html
you can get the Prius data by clicking on the prius along the top bar. I prefer the Honda Civic to the Prius, it feels more like a real car not a video game, has a better driving position & more headroom. The difference between the EX & Hybrid is very small as I believe there is still a 1050 tax incentive. You do loose the sunroof but gain a nicer 2 tone interior, automatic a/c, remote trunk release, and smooth as silk CVT transmission.
With the Civic hybrid, you are also gaining a smartway plus car which is the cleanest car (I believe) on the road right now per the EPA. My current lifetime mileage (1 year) in a Civic Hybrid 95% city driving is 42.2, the Civic LX auto. I drove while my car was in the body shop for a month got about 23mpg in the same conditions.
As far as those that suggest driving an old beater till the wheels fall off, you are not asking that question, you are asking what new car do I want to buy.....keep in mind that he Honda has high safety ratings as well, with front, side curtain and side airbags....yes, I know you are the safest driver in the world, but not necessarily everyone is, we have to protect ourselves from them and there is no way to prevent someone from t-boning you while you are going through your green light......I would rather be in a new Civic or Prius with all those unnecessary airbags any day.

Mmmmm, I would doubt that.
Show me one that is cleaner.

Actually, I called it smart way plus, The Honda Civic is actually smart way elite & the only 48 state car in this class, the Prius (like many others) is simply a smart way car with a rating of 8 vs the Hondas rating of 9.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/sbs.htm http://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/Index.do
I could only go back to the 2000 Civic HX but its rating was 8 (same as Prius) so there you go.

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by a "smartway plus car". Oh, I see--the EPA has this rating they call "Smartway".
Well, according to the EPA and its Green Vehicle Guide, both the Civic Hybrid and the Prius are rated Smartway Elite--but dig down and you'll see that the Prius is a tad cleaner and uses less fuel. It's also larger and has more luggage space.
In 8 states, there are a lot more states where the Prius is not as clean with its 8 rating.

My wife's 2005 civic EX coupe with 5 speed gets 26-28 mpg in town (she hotrods it) and 35+ on the road.
Lynn

My Wife has a 2008 Civic LX 1.8 with ~15,000 miles. Her commute is 35 miles in the country with few stoplights and an average 50 mph speed. She is a very conservative driver. She claims to be doing better than 33 mpg on her commute over the last 5000 miles. She is a Ph.D. engineer and has good credibility with data. My 2003 Civic Si 2.0 160 hp consistently gets 24 mpg around town driven hard. I enjoy driving them both.
"Enrico Fermi" wrote
> My Wife has a 2008 Civic LX 1.8 with ~15,000 miles. Her commute is 35 miles

This surprises me in a bad way. I had a '97 Civic EX (manual) and got 32 in town, regularly. The commute over the 10 mile stretch has a fair amount of smooth 40 mph stretches through about 15 stoplights. The 10 mile return commute is much more stop and go. Still, I got 32. On the highway at 65 -75 I'd get about 38. If your wife's Civic is only getting 32 under the described conditions, Civics' mileage appears to really have fallen off over the last 10 years.

There was no way to avoid it. The civic now is a much larger and heavier car than 10 years ago. My Si is over 3200 Pounds. I average about 26 MPG in mixed driving, and about 32 straight highway. I don't drive conservatively most of the time. The EX and lower should do a bit better than that, with the smaller engines, but it still isn't near as good as the older, smaller civics...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
Joe wrote:

i drove to los angeles from sfo and back this weekend - 400 miles each way. 40.3mpg trip average. 89 civic, 2,187lbs hatchback automatic.
that was sticking to the speed limit - if i go faster, it drops, but that's not bad for a 19 year old clunker.

Not bad at all. The old ones did a great job with fuel economy. It's a tough call. Americans seem to want bigger cars, and they absolutely expect the added safety equipment (6 airbags, crumple zones, etc), but now with the higher fuel prices we are seeing a heavy trend towards smaller cars. There have to be tradeoffs. It's just a matter of how much people are willing to give up to save some money at the pump...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
Joe wrote:

modern engines are much more efficient than the 20+ year old ones - much more sophisticated control and better design. those engines in lightweight bodies with skinnier tires that old honda wishbone suspension could utilize more effectively, and you have the potential for great fuel economy. i've been considering an engine transplant accordingly, but transplanting the accompanying electronics is decidedly non-trivial.

The sales brochure I just picked up at the dealer says the Si coupe curb weight is 2886 pounds. Granted that is about 500 more than my GS-R, but not quite 3200. Is yours a sedan?

Working from memory and the registration sticker. Haven't checked it recently, and my memory is not reliable enough for me to argue it with you. Next time I go out I'll have to look again.
Of course, NY doesn't weigh them, so it could *still* be wrong... ;-)
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
Elmo/Larry in AZ - You guys should get your facts straight about the smart -
Elmo - the smart has an automated manual transmission - so while you are technically correct in that they don't offer an 'automatic' transmission, the automated manual has an automatic shift mode.
Larry in AZ - the DO offer A/C, optional in the 'Pure' and standard in the 'Passion'.
See - http://www.smartusa.com/smart-fortwo-passion.aspx
I do agree with the general sentiment regarding the smart, however. It really needs a little more power to make sense - that may even help the mileage a tad by making the engine work less hard. It also really needs some storage space. But I have seen a few driving around, and I smile every time I see one. ;-)
Dan D '07 Ody EX (23 mpg highway, loaded, at 75 mph) Central NJ USA