New 2010 Honda Civic EX coupe--VANDALIZED after only ONE MONTH of ownership

Page 1 of 3
Hi all, In July I bought myself a brand new silver 2010 Honda Civic EX coupe, which I parked in the parking lot of my apartment complex.
And last Monday, less than 5 weeks after I drove the car out of the
showroom, the car was vandalized right in the parking lot, not far from where I sleep.
Thieves jacked up the car and stole the wheels and wheel covers. But they weren't careful: The jack must have slipped, because the car minus its wheels fell down on the ground, damaging the bumper and undercarriage and left front rotor. It's going to take a week of work from a body shop to restore the car.
I can't keep having this happen once a month.
So I'm wondering what steps I can take to prevent this in the future. I'm putting locking wheel lug nuts on (the kind you need a key to remove), and I'm looking at an alarm system w/tilt sensor.
Any other ideas?
-- Steven L.
On 8/6/2010 5:47 PM, Steven L. wrote:

    Move to a better neighbourhood.

You had steel wheels and they still ripped them off?

They were, of necessity, in a big hurry. I'll bet they had all 4 wheels off in less than two minutes.

The locking wheel nuts are not likely to be effective. The thieves use cordless impact guns and special sockets designed to remove those locking nuts.
Even an alarm may not help much. I understand that sometimes crooks jostle the car to set off any alarm, then they hide nearby and see if anybody responds to it. If not, they come back later and do their damage.
I like the alarm idea. An alarm at least gives you the hope that the noise may scare them off. But spend the bucks to have a competent shop install it so as to prevent damage to the car's electrical system.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Just sleep under a cover in the back seat... Keep that Glock handy though!
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

A Glock is a mouse gun, go for a M1911A1 .45ACP, John M. Browning's finest :-)
--
Service Guarantees Citizenship

On 8/6/2010 7:43 PM, Jim_Higgins wrote:

Nothing wrong with a G36 or G30. I have the latter. Just call it the "Mouse that ROARS!" Amazingly accurate little hand cannon right out of the box. Have a friend who carries the G36 in an ankle holster, talk about a surprise package for somebody<g>

A big hole in the end of the barrel is a big hole in the end of the barrel, regardless of the style of the pistol.
I used to have a Glock 22. I used handloads that were set up to make major in IPSC competition. Can't imagine the kick you'd get from a light, short- barrelled, polymer-framed .45.
--
Tegger

On 8/6/2010 8:12 PM, Tegger wrote:

Tegger, all I can say is you have to shoot that thing to believe it. Less perceived recoil with G30 than I have with my G23 or my S&W 469 (9mm). I couldn't believe it until I actually fired the damn thing. First .45 I'd shot since back in the day (~ 1969)when I had an old 1911A from, I think, the Civilian Marksmanship program.
The G30 is more of a "shove" than a snappy recoil. Dead nuts on right out of the box with fixed sights.

Hey, don't laugh.
I had thought about that option too.
But I've never owned a gun before; and to me, guns look to be quite complicated mechanisms to operate.
Maybe there's like a SIMPLE gun for first-time gun owners?
-- Steven L.
On 8/6/2010 10:16 PM, Steven L. wrote:

No gun for first time owners is simple and safe without training. That said, Tupperware (Glock) is quite simple, quite safe so long as one rule is remembered. Do not place your finger inside the trigger guard unless you want to hear a load noise and feel recoil. No manual safety, it's all automatic. Gun is safe unless you place a finger on the trigger. That's about all you must remember.
Dddudley wrote:

Yep, no fumbling around in the dark trying to dislodge the safety in times of urgent need.
Bang! Bang! Bang!
If there is still movement...
Bang! Bang!
JT

Ah, that does sound like a big advantage.
I just checked the Glock website. Yep, the trigger is all you need to operate; all the safeties are disengaged when the trigger is pulled.
I think I'll look into it. Thanks.
-- Steven L.
Steven L. wrote:

Sounds like a recipe for disaster, foot injury, or worse.

nor is any car.

lots of police have shot themselves with their Glocks. Or had "accidental discharges",actually NEGLIGENT discharges. Mostly while holstering the gun. snag that trigger,and like they said,all the safeties are disengaged,and the gun goes BANG.
Hopefully in a safe direction.
while you're at the gun store,try revolvers,too.
BTW,it's a good idea to get gun training and knowledge anyways,just so that if you DO encounter a gun,you'll know what to or what not to do with it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Absolutely. There is no substitute for training and knowing the gun statutes of your state.
JT

Absolutely i would need to get training.
But I'm still not sure about guns.
I'm not a big guy with big muscles, so recoil would be an issue.
And simplicity of operation is an issue for me. I don't want to have to fiddle around with it at a critical moment.
-- Steven L.

No,it would not. women don't have much of a problem with it. and you don't need to get a hand cannon.(large or magnum caliber)

then a revolver is perhaps best for you. No safety,very simple operation.
If you can drive a car,you can operate a handgun.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

snip
I would be to sure of that.
There are lot of complete idiots behind the wheel of cars and would hate to see any of 'em armed. Every time that I make the trek from Garfield to Austin, I hardly get more than a half a mile down the road before I'm cussin' out some idiot.
JT
On 08/09/2010 07:31 PM, Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

that says a good deal more about you than it does them.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

So now you're tolerant of idiots, jerks and just general dumbasses?
JT