New Brakes, 1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan

When it's time for new brakes (rotors, pads, drums, shoes, etc.), does it matter if I go to the dealer or if I go to a chains like Midas or Wearmaster?

P.S. I understand that I "must" go to the dealer for electrical concerns regarding my brakes.

Reply to
warlock162

the quality of the pads used by the dealer is much higher, but for very similar cost. any "saving" from a chain is simply not worth it.

Reply to
jim beam

jim is correct, to an extent. There is an INCREDIBLE mark-up on brakes. I would go to a Meineke before a Midas, or find a local shop if you want to save a few $$$, and tell them if they get the parts from CarQuest or AutoZone NOT to use the Chinese stuff (unless you really want to save some money; if you had said *88* Civic I'd use the Chinese stuff...)

But labor rates are evening up. OEM parts cost more, but are the same as what you're used to, and taking it to the dealer means someone that knows your car.

Hope this didn't confuse you more!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

Why? Do people like myself and others who drive an '88 Civic not need quality brakes? I recently did my brakes using Brembo rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. They work great and they should keep doing so for years to come.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

You made good choices there Eric! Akebono is often superior to the OE.

Reply to
Paul Elliot

Ooops...OK! I stand corrected!

I should say I live in lovely, rusty New England, and by the time Jap cars are that old, they are pretty rusted unless they have been garaged and maintained impeccibly. Not many are, but there are a few! Even my '85 Corolla GTS, impeccibly maintained (but never garaged) is returning to the elements in my back yard.

My Mom's '86 Camry is in good shape, garaged all the time, but still rusting.

I was basing my statement on cars like my $250 Celica I bought a few years ago. Put Chinese rotos and mid-grade pads and had no problems.

Reply to
Hachiroku