New Brakes, 1998 Honda Civic EX Sedan

When it's time for new brakes (rotors, pads, drums, shoes, etc.), does it matter if I go to the dealer or if I go to a chains like Midas or Wearmaster?
P.S. I understand that I "must" go to the dealer for electrical concerns regarding my brakes.
warlock162 wrote:

similar cost. any "saving" from a chain is simply not worth it.
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:41:24 -0500, warlock162 wrote:

jim is correct, to an extent. There is an INCREDIBLE mark-up on brakes. I would go to a Meineke before a Midas, or find a local shop if you want to save a few $$$, and tell them if they get the parts from CarQuest or AutoZone NOT to use the Chinese stuff (unless you really want to save some money; if you had said *88* Civic I'd use the Chinese stuff...)
But labor rates are evening up. OEM parts cost more, but are the same as what you're used to, and taking it to the dealer means someone that knows your car.
Hope this didn't confuse you more!! ;)
"Hachiroku" wrote:

Why? Do people like myself and others who drive an '88 Civic not need quality brakes? I recently did my brakes using Brembo rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. They work great and they should keep doing so for years to come.
Eric
Eric wrote:

You made good choices there Eric! Akebono is often superior to the OE.
--
Heaven is where the police are British, the chefs Italian, the mechanics
German, the lovers French and it is all organized by the Swiss.
On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 01:52:57 -0700, Eric wrote:

Ooops...OK! I stand corrected!
I should say I live in lovely, rusty New England, and by the time Jap cars are that old, they are pretty rusted unless they have been garaged and maintained impeccibly. Not many are, but there are a few! Even my '85 Corolla GTS, impeccibly maintained (but never garaged) is returning to the elements in my back yard.
My Mom's '86 Camry is in good shape, garaged all the time, but still rusting.
I was basing my statement on cars like my $250 Celica I bought a few years ago. Put Chinese rotos and mid-grade pads and had no problems.