New Engine Block

I have a 2008 Honda Civic LX, 5-speed.

About two weeks ago the local Honda dealer had to install a brand-new engine block due to coolant leakage from the block. (It was done under an extended Honda warranty!)

I am not much of a car expert/mechanic, so here's my question: Is there anything in particular I will need to pay attention to with regards to this new engine block?

Reply to
tb

What was the problem? The dealer should have documented the problem on the service paperwork.

Reply to
H. Ford

"tb" wrote in news:xn0ilgexod7zm4000 @reader.albasani.net:

You didn't get just a new block, you got a whole new "short block" assembly, which means new pistons, rings, rods, bearings, and crankshaft in addition to the new block. This means your engine is basially brand-new again.

Follow the original break-in procedure as though the engine was brand-new. Otherwise, enjoy your Honda.

Reply to
Tegger

no, no more than you would with any engine - assuming this new one's not defective of course. just make sure you check the coolant system for leaks, especially during the first few weeks, and you're good to go.

recommend you stick with honda branded coolant for the time being. after that, never use tapwater to refill - only distilled water or pre-mix "asian vehicle" formula.

Reply to
jim beam

The block started leaking coolant... Honda became aware of this problem a few years ago and decided to extend the warranty for the engine. That's how I ended up with a new engine block.

Reply to
tb

That's right. I learned it the hard way and costed me a new heater core. Hopefully nothing worse happened from it because I haven't seen any coolant level change since then. Unfortunately too many mechanics also use tap water to mix concentrated coolant, too, figuring that by the time a problem happens, nobody can nail it to them.

Reply to
cameo

that's too vague for the mechanics among us, but if that's all they told you, we are left to wonder

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Geoff Welsh wrote in news:ktroeh$g48$1@dont- email.me:

There are a number of TSBs dealing with coolant- and oil-leaks from poorly- cast blocks that have either cracks or porosity. The OP's vehicle apparently falls under one of those TSBs.

Reply to
Tegger

On some 2006-08 and early production 2009 Civics, the engine (cylinder) block may experience coolant seepage that can result in engine overheating. For this reason Honda extended their warranty of the engine block to 8 years from the original date of purchase, with no mileage limit.

In my case, the Honda dealer had to replace the whole engine block free of charge.

Reply to
tb

What happened at Honda that used to set a standard for car quality?

Reply to
cameo

cameo wrote in news:ktu0ho$137$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

It's still there. Cracked and porous castings are a problem for anybody that casts metal, especially aluminum.

Reply to
Tegger

exactly true :)

Reply to
Pawalleye

yikes, cracked castings are a pretty bad situation, but I'm surprised they don't just alumi-seal for porosity.

Is there a specific spot on the block that's common? I'm still just seeing 2004 and older Hondas in my neck-o-the-woods, as of yet.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Geoff Welsh wrote in news:ktu7g9$biq$1@dont- email.me:

If the porosity is in an area that is not subject to pressure, Honda often specifies a fix using JB Weld.

Nope. All over the place.

Reply to
Tegger

Well, I bought a honda hoping that I would not have to deal with these problems. IMHO it does not speak very well for their QI department...

Reply to
tb

not true. they're a problem for people cutting corners. casting is centuries old technology. porosity, and the reasons for it, are well understood and completely avoidable by anyone competent and familiar with that technology. indeed, honda never used to have a problem with it - the fact that they do now pretty much tells you everything you need to know about how their commitment to quality has changed.

[honda used to use forged cranks and now cast them - that tells you a whole lot more about their ideas of quality too.]
Reply to
jim beam

"tb" wrote in news:xn0ilkfxz3vqaq000 @reader.albasani.net:

I don't think you'll find perfect castings anywhere, from anybody. All automakers inspect their blocks prior to building the engine, but defects sometimes only reveal themselves after lots of vibration and many heat/cool cycles.

Considering how many engines get built in any given year, flaws bad enough to cause problems are extremely rare.

Reply to
Tegger

thx Tegger GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I think I will stick with my old 1998 CRV. It has 120 thousand miles on it and my mechanic says if I continue to keep it serviced, the engine should last until 300 thousand.

I sounds like Honda has given up on quality and the oldies are now the best that Honda would ever make.

My old Honda had the ignition switch failure that affected millions of Hondas. I had it replaced with the "fixed" ignition switch. So far nothing else has been amiss but my radio. I am going to install one that plays digital media.

Reply to
B29

Yet, this kind of problem is virtually unheard of with the '90s vintage models. So that should be telling something, right?

Reply to
cameo