New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.

Too tight to drive into single wide garage door, about 1/2" clear on each side and mirrors don't fold back. I guess with practice you could get in and out of the garage but for now it has to be parked on the street. If Honda make the car wider, the mirrors should fold back. Dang!

We also have an old Acura Integra that fits into the same garage nicely, with or without folding the mirrors. Wife has a Camry without folding mirrors that fits into this garage as well. My small Nissan truck fits as well with the mirrors folded.

Are there folding mirror conversion kits for the Accord?

Reply to
Frank

What you need to do is put in small rubber doors in the side of the garage door (like sideways doggie doors), so that if you hit the sides, it goes right through without damage!

Or get a new house.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sorry, that should be Civic Si, not Accord. Son's new car, not mine.

Reply to
Frank

The garage is so narrow you can't get a Civic in it??? Either the garage is a joke or this upsizing thing has really gotten out of hand.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

" Frank" wrote in news:l56dnYBt64lP517anZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

This must be a newer house. Older houses were built for full-size American cars, which were wider than your Accord.

Some markets legally require folding mirrors. You may be able to locate a set at a European Honda dealer (England, maybe?). Be prepared for serious sticker shock!

Reply to
Tegger

But the doors might be designed differently or there may be other differences that would make it so that the parts are not interchangeable.

The cars are built in different palnts, perhap to different specs.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Renovate the garage. Replace the existing doorway with a larger doorway.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Jeff wrote in news:oHMwj.33607$v57.11773@trnddc05:

That's perfectly true. Replacement could be a minefield. Eupropean Accords are smaller than ours. The Acura TSX is based on the European Accord, but even then...

Reply to
Tegger

I'm thinking about it. On one side of the door is a structural wall holding up three floors above, on the other side of the door is a partial wall with multiple gas meters mounted on it. Moving either of the walls to allow additional clearance will be an expense. Further, the entry way, the same width as the door, has full size brick fascia - it could cut that with a wet saw which will give an additional 1" clearance on each side. But the door opening is the problem. Maybe cheaper to get a smaller car or one with foldable mirrors.

Reply to
Frank

Its an old house, built around 1910 - Model T, horse and carriage width, I suppose.

Reply to
Frank

You said that it was the kid's car... Let him figgerout whattadoo..

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The model T was introduced in 1908. In 1910, there were only 12,000 produced. My guess the garage was not originally intended to house a car or truck.

Either way, increasing the width of the garage door may increase the value of the house.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Do they have different mirrors on the Si than on the other Civics such as the LX? In the photos on the Honda site they look like the same mirrors. My

2008 LX has folding mirrors...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The new civics are certainly larger than the older ones, but not so much that they shouldn't fit into a garage.

Reply to
Joe

Don't think so, the Si has the soup up engine and sports suspension and tires.

Reply to
Frank

Standards change. His house is old. Hell, when his garage was built, there were few to no cars on the road. A 7' "standard" today is meaningless to him.

My house has a damned 34" entry door. That's not "standard" today, either, but it doesn't change the fact that it's there and needs to be dealt with...

Reply to
Joe

Yo - Mr. OP - please state the exact measurement of your garage opening.

Reply to
Al

Yo Al, the house is 1.5 hours away so I won't be able to measure it right away. FYI, the width is about the width of the 2007 Civic plus about 1" clear on each side of the mirrors. I'll post the exact measurements when I have a chance to get out there.

Its in San Francisco and the garage opening is pretty typical for buildings of that period around the neighborhood. I see people pull in their vans in the garage but the newer Civics must be wider than I expected.

Friend of mine was going to buy a multi million dollar house but he changed his mind when he found out he couldn't get into the garage without folding the mirrors.

Reply to
Frank

Shouldn't need folding anything , opening should be a standard 7 feet . To the best of my knowledge ,that's the standard size`garage door . You should have more then 1/2'' clearance on each side , should be no problems getting in or out of the garage with that vehicle .

Reply to
Dana

Missed the post where he said it was a 1910 house

Reply to
Dana