New Honda Accord too wide, cannot get into garage safely.

Page 1 of 2
Too tight to drive into single wide garage door, about 1/2" clear on each side and mirrors don't fold back. I guess with practice you could get in and
out of the garage but for now it has to be parked on the street. If Honda make the car wider, the mirrors should fold back. Dang!
We also have an old Acura Integra that fits into the same garage nicely, with or without folding the mirrors. Wife has a Camry without folding mirrors that fits into this garage as well. My small Nissan truck fits as well with the mirrors folded.
Are there folding mirror conversion kits for the Accord?
Frank wrote:

What you need to do is put in small rubber doors in the side of the garage door (like sideways doggie doors), so that if you hit the sides, it goes right through without damage!
Or get a new house.
Jeff
Sorry, that should be Civic Si, not Accord. Son's new car, not mine.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:39:43 -0800, " Frank"

The garage is so narrow you can't get a Civic in it??? Either the garage is a joke or this upsizing thing has really gotten out of hand.

The new civics are certainly larger than the older ones, but not so much that they shouldn't fit into a garage.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

Don't think so, the Si has the soup up engine and sports suspension and tires.

This must be a newer house. Older houses were built for full-size American cars, which were wider than your Accord.
Some markets legally require folding mirrors. You may be able to locate a set at a European Honda dealer (England, maybe?). Be prepared for serious sticker shock!
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

But the doors might be designed differently or there may be other differences that would make it so that the parts are not interchangeable.
The cars are built in different palnts, perhap to different specs.
Jeff

That's perfectly true. Replacement could be a minefield. Eupropean Accords are smaller than ours. The Acura TSX is based on the European Accord, but even then...
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Its an old house, built around 1910 - Model T, horse and carriage width, I suppose.
Frank wrote:

The model T was introduced in 1908. In 1910, there were only 12,000 produced. My guess the garage was not originally intended to house a car or truck.
Either way, increasing the width of the garage door may increase the value of the house.
Jeff

Renovate the garage. Replace the existing doorway with a larger doorway.

I'm thinking about it. On one side of the door is a structural wall holding up three floors above, on the other side of the door is a partial wall with multiple gas meters mounted on it. Moving either of the walls to allow additional clearance will be an expense. Further, the entry way, the same width as the door, has full size brick fascia - it could cut that with a wet saw which will give an additional 1" clearance on each side. But the door opening is the problem. Maybe cheaper to get a smaller car or one with foldable mirrors.
Frank wrote:

You said that it was the kid's car... Let him figgerout whattadoo..
JT

Shouldn't need folding anything , opening should be a standard 7 feet . To the best of my knowledge ,that's the standard size`garage door . You should have more then 1/2'' clearance on each side , should be no problems getting in or out of the garage with that vehicle .

Standards change. His house is old. Hell, when his garage was built, there were few to no cars on the road. A 7' "standard" today is meaningless to him.
My house has a damned 34" entry door. That's not "standard" today, either, but it doesn't change the fact that it's there and needs to be dealt with...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
Joe wrote:

Yo - Mr. OP - please state the exact measurement of your garage opening.

Yo Al, the house is 1.5 hours away so I won't be able to measure it right away. FYI, the width is about the width of the 2007 Civic plus about 1" clear on each side of the mirrors. I'll post the exact measurements when I have a chance to get out there.
Its in San Francisco and the garage opening is pretty typical for buildings of that period around the neighborhood. I see people pull in their vans in the garage but the newer Civics must be wider than I expected.
Friend of mine was going to buy a multi million dollar house but he changed his mind when he found out he couldn't get into the garage without folding the mirrors.

7' 2"