New Honda being delivered Wednesday

Page 1 of 3
Well after 10 years of service and over 266,000 miles my '01 Accord EX-V6 Auto is finally leaving the family. This is the combination that Honda extended the warranty on to like 109,000 miles. Never needed anything done
to it. That is until recently and now every morning I have a P0780 error. So with that in mind I'm replacing her with a 2011 EX-L/Navi but this time going with the i4.
Of the things I'll miss from the old one the one that for some reason sticks out the most is Homelink. Honda only puts that in the v6 version of the car for some odd reason.
Well here's to another 10 years and a quarter million miles!

So how did you get rid off it? Trade-in?

Yes, trade. I know selling outright on the street is usually the better way to go but I don't believe I would have done better by enough of a margin to make it worth it.

With known problem it's best to trade it in and let the dealer take care of any future problems with it.

That's assuming the dealer provides something for the trade vs.buying outright, without a trade.
More realistically, dealers typically take older cars off their customer's hands in lieu of a discount.
My son once attempted to trade a car where the dealer offered him an extra $100 off the car without the trade.

That's true. If a car is in good working order, I would always try to sell it myself and buy a new car without trading in the old one. There is no way to know what an angry buyer of my old car could do when he discovers I sold him a car with known hidden problem. So that's when I would rather trade it in.

My Canadian province (Ontario) is an exception to the general rule that sellng the old car yourself saves you money.
Up here, selling the old car yourself is a very expensive, since the government rigged tax calculations to favor dealer trade-ins against private sales. That's why private sales have almost totally dried up, with a few exceptions.
--
Tegger

Hmmmm. Well, down here the deal is that tax is collected against the net transaction--that is, if the car you're buying is $20,000 and the dealer shows a $10,000 trade in, sales tax is collected on the $10,000 difference.
Therefore, you need to sell your car for more than $10,700 (7% tax rate) in order to make a private sale be better than a trade-in. It's a very simple evaluation. Then there's the hassle factor of a private sale, the value of which is unique to every individual. That'll add to what a private sale price would be. But there's still a very wide gap between a private sale price and what the dealer will ask for it once he's put it on the lot, so private sales are still a good deal.
Is that kind of "rigged tax calculation" you're talking about?
It hasn't stopped or even slowed private transactions down here, not one bit.

Yes.
Stopped them /dead/ here. Which was just what the dealers were hoping for when they asked for that change.
--
Tegger

Our tax is 13%, by the way.
--
Tegger

The garage door opener?
I had an 00 4 cylinder manual trans Accord; I simply bought a Homelink panel off Ebay, and replaced the blank panel with that. Voila.
It's not rocket science. Where do they install the buttons on the 2011 model? Is it a panel you can replace? Shoot, just buy it from the dealer and have him install it.
I am sorry you're buying another Honda. You'll find out why soon enough. Honda isn't the company it was 10 years ago.

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into that. Thanks for the idea. Worst case I guess I go old school and clip the remote to the visor like millions others.

That's sad to hear. But really, what else is the alternative in that class (both price and what you get for it)? Our 2007 Odyssey has been holding up well. Over 60k on that already.

Believe it or not, Hyundai (I think) if you're talking that level of market. Certainly Nissan.
If you're dead-set on a Honda, buy Acura--they still seem to care at that level (also see Infiniti). But Honda has turned into a big bag of shit over the last ten years, and what they're turning out today is pitiful.
Yes, I have some inside information on that.

I test drove the Hyundai line (well, didn't bother with the Accent) and they just weren't comfortable for me. Bad back and a 150 mile commute has made my ass kind of picky.

Well I guess I'll possibly learn the hard way then.

Well, "comfortable for any given individual" is way different from "building quality cars".
Honda is spending their hard-earned capital of reputation faster than a drunken sailor. That will come back to bite them, hard--but hey, they'll deal with that when the time comes, right?
On 12/10/2010 10:28 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

they're certainly dropping their support of their older civics as fast as they can. their 4-wheel double-wishbone crx, and 88-2000 civics were fabulous bang for the buck, reliable, comparatively fast, comfortable and great handling - they were the cars that put honda on the map. that era of accord, integra and prelude wasn't bad either. they're still the cars that keep honda winning on the grass roots race circuits too. but honda are pulling support parts off the shelves and not replacing them - it looks like they're aiming for 10-year support like domestics, and that era has passed it's expiration date.
really bad for brand loyalty. and the new ones are uncomfortable. i'd not buy a new car from honda's current lineup.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

ah, the BMW model.

Well, they'll worry about brand loyalty later. Right?
As for uncomfortable, just those damn headrests alone would keep me from buying a Honda today. No, Honda, you don't have to jam them forward so far you make my chin touch my chest. And I refuse to recline the seatback like a gangsta just to avoid all of that.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote

I wondered about that too-forward headrest, and for the first couple weeks I was driving with the seatback in its full upright position. That's the seatback position I've used in my previous Hondas. Anyway, with the Accord, my back was hurting. Then I discovered that by reclining the seat just one or two notches (not enough for a gangsta look), all seating problems were solved. I love the seat's depth, as it nicely supports my thighs. My Civics' seats were too short, so with the Accord I discovered luxury. I hope Honda hasn't shortened the seats on the new ones.

It's a"safety" feature. It's supposed to help prevent neck injuries by preventing the head from being able to move very far in a rear-end collision.
--
Tegger

And yet, the rest of the car manufacturers don't do it to the extreme Honda does.