New Honda being delivered Wednesday

Well after 10 years of service and over 266,000 miles my '01 Accord EX-V6 Auto is finally leaving the family. This is the combination that Honda extended the warranty on to like 109,000 miles. Never needed anything done to it. That is until recently and now every morning I have a P0780 error. So with that in mind I'm replacing her with a 2011 EX-L/Navi but this time going with the i4.

Of the things I'll miss from the old one the one that for some reason sticks out the most is Homelink. Honda only puts that in the v6 version of the car for some odd reason.

Well here's to another 10 years and a quarter million miles!

Reply to
Seth

So how did you get rid off it? Trade-in?

Reply to
Cameo

The garage door opener?

I had an 00 4 cylinder manual trans Accord; I simply bought a Homelink panel off Ebay, and replaced the blank panel with that. Voila.

It's not rocket science. Where do they install the buttons on the 2011 model? Is it a panel you can replace? Shoot, just buy it from the dealer and have him install it.

I am sorry you're buying another Honda. You'll find out why soon enough. Honda isn't the company it was 10 years ago.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yes, trade. I know selling outright on the street is usually the better way to go but I don't believe I would have done better by enough of a margin to make it worth it.

Reply to
Seth

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that. I'll look into that. Thanks for the idea. Worst case I guess I go old school and clip the remote to the visor like millions others.

That's sad to hear. But really, what else is the alternative in that class (both price and what you get for it)? Our 2007 Odyssey has been holding up well. Over 60k on that already.

Reply to
Seth

Believe it or not, Hyundai (I think) if you're talking that level of market. Certainly Nissan.

If you're dead-set on a Honda, buy Acura--they still seem to care at that level (also see Infiniti). But Honda has turned into a big bag of shit over the last ten years, and what they're turning out today is pitiful.

Yes, I have some inside information on that.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I test drove the Hyundai line (well, didn't bother with the Accent) and they just weren't comfortable for me. Bad back and a 150 mile commute has made my ass kind of picky.

Well I guess I'll possibly learn the hard way then.

Reply to
Seth

Well, "comfortable for any given individual" is way different from "building quality cars".

Honda is spending their hard-earned capital of reputation faster than a drunken sailor. That will come back to bite them, hard--but hey, they'll deal with that when the time comes, right?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

They probably fall into the category "they don't make em like they used to " . I would not put much stock into what was said. Having shunned everything foreign for years I finally saw the light and bought a Honda 4 years ago. Never looked back. Pretty much standard maintenance is all. Best decision I ever made. Like anything else I guess , if you get a good one you get a good one etc.

Reply to
Clete

I have a data point to dispute that. I bought my wife a 2005 Civic EX coupe with a five speed 6 years ago. It now has 55K miles on it and the only thing that I have had to do besides change the oil is replace the tires and the battery.

Excellent car and highly recommended.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

they're certainly dropping their support of their older civics as fast as they can. their 4-wheel double-wishbone crx, and 88-2000 civics were fabulous bang for the buck, reliable, comparatively fast, comfortable and great handling - they were the cars that put honda on the map. that era of accord, integra and prelude wasn't bad either. they're still the cars that keep honda winning on the grass roots race circuits too. but honda are pulling support parts off the shelves and not replacing them - it looks like they're aiming for 10-year support like domestics, and that era has passed it's expiration date.

really bad for brand loyalty. and the new ones are uncomfortable. i'd not buy a new car from honda's current lineup.

Reply to
jim beam

"Seth" wrote in news:idtpq3$mn4$ snipped-for-privacy@nocheese.eternal-september.org:

I think you're going to be just fine. Honda's still a good company, and their cars are still well-made. However, considerable compromises have been made to the interior and to other non-essential parts in order to allow the re-allocation of funds necessary for all the airbags and other government- mandated equipment. This results in a cheaper feel than what used to be.

Me, I'm on the verge of finally replacing the '91 Integra, which now has over 356,000 miles and is going to need at least an engine/tranny rebuild in the next year or two. Unfortunately, Honda does not have what I need, so my next car will not be a Honda.

Why can't Honda make a Civic wagon, on the order of the Mazda 3 Sport? /That/ I would buy. The Fit is too small for my needs.

I'll likely be buying something by next Christmas, if not before. The wife and I have been discussing options, since we'd like something larger for travelling.

Reply to
Tegger

With known problem it's best to trade it in and let the dealer take care of any future problems with it.

Reply to
Cameo

"Lynn McGuire" wrote

Same opinion here, same replacements (plus rear brakes at about 30,000):

2004 Accord EX sedan i4 auto, 62K, very comfortable. Knock on Formica, it'll be repair-free for another 62K. I've only owned Hondas since 1982, and will be open to other brands when the time comes for a new one.
Reply to
Howard Lester

That's assuming the dealer provides something for the trade vs.buying outright, without a trade.

More realistically, dealers typically take older cars off their customer's hands in lieu of a discount.

My son once attempted to trade a car where the dealer offered him an extra $100 off the car without the trade.

Reply to
clams

It's called an Odysssey.

I prefer my Ford Expedition for traveling as it is a trueland yacht.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

2007 Odyssey is our other Honda. My wife picked that because of A) how reliable my Accord had been the prior 6 years and B) of the 3 vehicles we had narrowed our choices down to it was the only one that had leather and would seat 8. The Sienna for example maxed out at 7 in leather. The R350 was only 6 seats.
Reply to
Seth

Lynn McGuire wrote in news:iducg7$4jt$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Too costly; we're too cheap for that.

Plus neither of us like the "soccer mom" stigma that comes with minivans.

Reply to
Tegger

Ironically, I drive an '82 Civic automatic everyday...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

That's true. If a car is in good working order, I would always try to sell it myself and buy a new car without trading in the old one. There is no way to know what an angry buyer of my old car could do when he discovers I sold him a car with known hidden problem. So that's when I would rather trade it in.

Reply to
Cameo