New Honda being delivered Wednesday

Page 2 of 3

I've been in other cars with a similar inconvenience, I just can't remember exactly which ones right now.
Some cars have "active" headrests, that snap forwards into that position on impact. I guess Honda must be trying to save cash.
--
Tegger

On 12/11/2010 11:09 AM, Tegger wrote:

that might be true, but it doesn't explain why toyota don't seem to be afflicted in the same way.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

I think they do that to save money: they get the "safety" of active headrests without the expense of same, but annoy everybody in the process.
My next car (to be purchased within the next year) will not be a Honda.
--
Tegger

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 13:00:40 -0500, "Seth"

used to " . I would not put much stock into what was said. Having shunned everything foreign for years I finally saw the light and bought a Honda 4 years ago. Never looked back. Pretty much standard maintenance is all. Best decision I ever made. Like anything else I guess , if you get a good one you get a good one etc.

I think you're going to be just fine. Honda's still a good company, and their cars are still well-made. However, considerable compromises have been made to the interior and to other non-essential parts in order to allow the re-allocation of funds necessary for all the airbags and other government- mandated equipment. This results in a cheaper feel than what used to be.
Me, I'm on the verge of finally replacing the '91 Integra, which now has over 356,000 miles and is going to need at least an engine/tranny rebuild in the next year or two. Unfortunately, Honda does not have what I need, so my next car will not be a Honda.
Why can't Honda make a Civic wagon, on the order of the Mazda 3 Sport? /That/ I would buy. The Fit is too small for my needs.
I'll likely be buying something by next Christmas, if not before. The wife and I have been discussing options, since we'd like something larger for travelling.
--
Tegger

On 12/10/2010 1:06 PM, Tegger wrote:

It's called an Odysssey. http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey / But I prefer my Ford Expedition for traveling as it is a true land yacht.
Lynn

2007 Odyssey is our other Honda. My wife picked that because of A) how reliable my Accord had been the prior 6 years and B) of the 3 vehicles we had narrowed our choices down to it was the only one that had leather and would seat 8. The Sienna for example maxed out at 7 in leather. The R350 was only 6 seats.

Too costly; we're too cheap for that.
Plus neither of us like the "soccer mom" stigma that comes with minivans.
--
Tegger

It's gone LONG past non-essential parts. They're beyond cutting TO the bone, and are amputating entire limbs.
Honda is scared to death of Hyundai, and is busy *re*acting to that perceived threat. Their reaction is based on panic, not calculation. Honda has proven that they're chasing the Hyundai buyer who, for $5 less, would jump over and buy the Hyundai.
Bad move.
Unfortunately, this started back far enough (with the 98 and up transmisions) and has gone on long enough that they probably can't reverse the downhill trend.
One day, their reputation capital will be spent, and they'll be completely stuck.

yeah, but I would consider a Fit Si in a heartbeat (probably wouldn't buy it, but I'd go look). That would be the spiritual descendant of the original Civic Si. It doesn't have to be radical; put the 140hp motor from the stock Civic into the lighter weight Fit, do up the suspension, make it either black w/red interior or red w/black interior, and go.
Price it like a Fit.
Remember, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Ain't that the truth. I have more fun driving the hilly winding back roads in my ancient Civic(s) without worrying about the cops behind the bill boards on the main roads.
JT
On 12/10/2010 11:52 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

I have a data point to dispute that. I bought my wife a 2005 Civic EX coupe with a five speed 6 years ago. It now has 55K miles on it and the only thing that I have had to do besides change the oil is replace the tires and the battery.
Excellent car and highly recommended.
Lynn
"Lynn McGuire" wrote

Same opinion here, same replacements (plus rear brakes at about 30,000): 2004 Accord EX sedan i4 auto, 62K, very comfortable. Knock on Formica, it'll be repair-free for another 62K. I've only owned Hondas since 1982, and will be open to other brands when the time comes for a new one.
Howard Lester wrote:

Ironically, I drive an '82 Civic automatic everyday...
JT

Similarly, I am very pleased with my 2003 Civic LX Coupe at 98k miles. I did not think I would like the 1.7L engine, for fuel-economy reasons. But it turns out I am getting 40+ mpg on average year-round (overinflating tires to about 40 psi, with no signs of uneven wear problems, knock on aluminum), and the extra horsepower is great on the highway. I do not notice a reduction in fuel mileage when using air conditioning. The engine does not struggle (slowing the car) to climb the hills here the way my 91 and 93 Civics did. I either found it a little easier to change the timing belt etc. on the 2003 than my older Civics, or I just have enough experience that every TB change is easier. The distributor-less design (so one ignition coil per cylinder) seems to work well, though if memory serves, I think honda- tech.com folks are starting to report a failure now and then of these for the 01-05 generation of Civic.
One drawback is the sidewinder design of door locks. Getting parts to rebuild it is difficult. The design is such that it fails much sooner than the older design.
I just bought a pair of tires over the internet for the first time. As second owner, the Civic came with two fairly new Pirelli tires in the front in 2009. The back tires were Firestone and are way overdue for replacement, from how worn they are (uniformly) and cracked.
I own a little stock in Honda and it is doing nicely, with a nice gain since I bought it in 2006. Not that stock price means too much, unless maybe one wants to compare to GM, Toyota and Ford.

Probably the very last car to bite the dust will be the ones equipped with 4 cylinder engines and manual transmissions. That is Honda's lifeblood, and it'll be awhile before executive management gets desperate enough to screw that up.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in message wrote:

Believe it or not, Hyundai (I think) if you're talking that level of market. Certainly Nissan.
If you're dead-set on a Honda, buy Acura--they still seem to care at that level (also see Infiniti). But Honda has turned into a big bag of shit over the last ten years, and what they're turning out today is pitiful.
Yes, I have some inside information on that.
I must say that the current offerings by Honda don't do much for me -- Crosstour for example & the Accord coupe is quite ugly. I currently drive an 06 I4 Accord coupe and have had very good service out of it. If I were to replace it I suppose Hyundai or Nissan (altima) would be the alternatives.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in message wrote:

Believe it or not, Hyundai (I think) if you're talking that level of market. Certainly Nissan.
Indeed. Current offerings by Honda have led me to look at Hyundai/Kia and the Altima.
If you're dead-set on a Honda, buy Acura--they still seem to care at that level (also see Infiniti). But Honda has turned into a big bag of shit over the last ten years, and what they're turning out today is pitiful.
Yes, I have some inside information on that.

I know I'm replying to an old post but that said, I have to disagree (with or without your inside info). From what I read, it's still ok but it's not advancing like some other car makers are. In my opinion, Honda is just putting out the same product that looks slightly different each year. Maybe they feel if it works, don't change it. I can live with that but I think I'm in the minority.

From what you've *read*?
Did I mention I have some inside information directly from a long-time Honda engineer?