New Honda owner

Hey, look, you're just as much of an asshole here as you are in the Ubuntu group... If you'd have bothered to look, I followed up directly to that post, and was the only one here who tried to actually address your question.

What a douche...

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

You're doing a fine job of coming off as a class "A" fool, yourself.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Reply to
Slider

When asking for free advice, always assume you will get what you paid for...

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

It was an honest question; a lot of people don't check the manual. Answering questions about how to turn on the headlights can be a big drag on an auto forum. After determining you had read the manual we can try to provide the additional info and even learn about it ourselves.

Personally, I avoid getting involved in questions from people who are short with others who try to help - I ditched the "kick me" sign long ago.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I love it... an owner with an attitude !! Dare anyone say something he doesn't like.

Reply to
honda owner

I couldn't have said it better Brian and I tried earlier. Thanks.

Reply to
honda owner

Yeah, I even have a daughter that sometimes will ask me a question and I give my best answer and then she argues with my answer. I finally told her I hate people that do this.... sorta to me like she or whoever is looking for an arguement to start. I get to the point where I don't want to bother to answer.

Reply to
honda owner

I'm curious - what do you find useful about it?

As near as I can tell, all it does is force the emergency response team to have to break into the car to get you out after the crash.

Reply to
E Meyer

snip

No, these haven't been smart-ass replies.

"The auto lock feature is just about as useful as that expensive warranty you bought that you'll never need. What a waste of money!"

That's more like it.

Don't let these guys fool you, auto locks are found on European cars, too. I watched my mechanic break into a Porsche Cayanne the other day because of the auto locks timed out and locked the keys in the car.

Reply to
ACAR

No problem, I am happy to help. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

On 7/14/2007 9:54 AM E Meyer spake these words of knowledge:

Having your door locked can help to ensure that your door does not open when you did not intend it to.

This can be very useful in the event of a crash.

It can also be useful in a situation where others may open your door when you did not intend to have it opened, such as when you are in heavy traffic in NYC.

As a result of these simple facts, I lock my door every time I get in it, with the same automatic repetitiveness as buckling my seatbelt. If it were automatically done, it would save me having to do it. I fail to see why or how it can be a problem, or why it should even be a question.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

That advice is a generation or two out of date. Before the '60s there were no significant standards for either door latches or door locks and door locks could possibly improve door integrity in an accident. Since the implementation of US NHTSA standards c. 1963 door locks were not relevant to latch integrity. If you look at a lock in any car since the late 60s you will see it only affects how the release levers actuate the latch and does not affect the holding mechanism. In the NHTSA's study of Rollover Mitigation

the report acknowledges the role of door latches but not door locks in preventing partial ejection.

That is useful. You should always lock your doors when people present more of a threat than traffic and terrain do. Otherwise, my take is that we are somewhat safer with the doors unlocked. As a first-aider, I dread the thought of coming across a car fire with entrapment and finding the doors locked or jammed. I can deal with other problems better if I don't lose time trying to establish an exit route. And it is important to remember that central locking and unlocking depends on electricity. If anything has happened in the accident to kill power (like the battery was destroyed on impact) rear doors are going to stay closed until somebody can get to the locks manually... and much longer than that if child locks are active.

You are entitled to your opinion. I'm just glad none of my cars have the "feature." Doing it manually when you feel it is valuable makes sense, having the car do it stupidly does not.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Early Volvo 850s were Volvo's first attempt at totally computerizing a car. One of the common complaints was that the door locks would become demonically possessed, rapidly cycling, locking or unlocking at random, and with a propensity to lock the doors when people got out to put gas in the car! Buwahaahaahaa!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yep, I saw your second reply later, after I saw/replied to the first one. As for "addressing my question", you were completely wrong with your answer, so it doesn't count for much.

Yeah. Namecalling. Who's the asshole, again?

Reply to
Dan C

As some others have already explained some of the reasons, I'll just add one more. I said in my original post that it was my daughter's car, she's a college student, and it makes me feel safer knowing her doors are locked, even if she doesn't always think to lock them (manually).

I suppose that could happen, but thinking like that, you had better not even go out the front door of the house. You might get hit by a bus.

As for breaking into the car, it's not very difficult to break a window, especially for well-equipped emergency personnel.

Reply to
Dan C

Whatever. It's notable that you snipped the entire post, and don't bother actually addressing anything. Was there something inaccurate or wrong about my points?

Didn't think so.

Reply to
Dan C

Why do you think that? Seriously.

Do you think his smart-ass answer to me was entirely OK?

Reply to
Dan C

I am one of those pathetically prepared people who are always mindful of such things. I am aware that I rarely carry anything that can break a car window, although if I have no alternative I have a small pocketknife that would have an outside chance if I hit hard enough near an edge. Tempered glass is amazingly tough.

It is really only an issue in fires and potential fires, since the other crisis - submersion - requires a window to be opened before a door can be opened anyway. For other accidents it is almost always better to leave everybody where they are and protect the scene until the pros get there. Moving accident victims gives me the shivers.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Past experience is clear on this, you are a clear winner here, Danny Boy...

Reply to
Joe LaVigne