New Or Used 2010 Civic Coupe..

Page 1 of 2
I have a choice at the local dealership between a new or used Honda Civic Coupe LX. The three new ones have less than 10 miles but the used one only has 7,700 miles. The used one is about $1,000 less than the new
ones. All four are gun metal gray with light gray interiors. The only difference is one is used.
The dealership tells me the used one was purchased by one of their old salesmen that lives about 30 miles away so most of the 7,700 miles were what they're calling highway miles. His round trip to work was 60 miles a day. He sold it because his family got bigger and he purchased a Honda Fit.
I don't have access to the Honda user's manual so I'm not familiar with their suggested break in routine. My concern is most of the miles during the break in period were probably highway miles.
Do I save the $1,000 and take the used one or buy a new one and break it in my way? I generally follow the manufacturer's break in recommendations but push the car a little harder since I drive fast. All my new cars have been broken in this way and I've never had an engine problem.
Should the dealership be offering the used one for a lower price?
--
JD..

Is it Honda certified with the extended warranty?
J.L.Hemmer wrote:

From what I can tell, if I want the extended warranty then it will cost an extra $1,500. They offer it on their web page without the extended warranty but offer it online through another web page with the warranty for a higher price. The price difference is $1,500. The used one with the extended warranty cost more than the new ones. It's only an extra year warranty.
Seems a bit pricey to me. It's basically a new car with 7,700 miles. Is the extra year warranty worth the extra money? Seems like I'd be better off with a new one or the used one without the extended warranty?
I should look into this. If they will sell it at their web page price with the extended warranty, without the $1,500 price increase, then the used one might be better? Unless the first owner didn't take care of it.
My preference would be a car that doesn't need any warranty repairs.
--
JD..

On 9/27/2010 12:32 AM, JD wrote:

Buy the new one. Try to get another few hundred off, don't forget it's end of the model year time, and they are holding 3 identical 2010 grey ones. Also, don't necessarily believe the "salesman bought it" story. Sounds like an update to "little old lady who just drove it to church" story. Don't forget, car dealerships will say whatever you want to hear. You will never know what that car went through the first 7700 miles. How many curbs hit, how many potholes, accidents, replaced windshields, etc. And consider this, would you buy a new car and let me use it for a year and put 7700 miles on it for $1000? If so send your address and I'll bring cash.
On 09/27/2010 06:43 AM, Al wrote: <snip for clarity>

no kidding.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Al wrote:

Good points. I thought a new car lost 15% to 20% of it's value when it was driven off the lot. The used one may come with the Honda certified warranty. One web page says it has it, one web page says it doesn't.
I've seen the car fax for the used one and it doesn't have any negative information.
--
JD..

I can't believe a used Civic is only $1000 cheaper than a new one. Me thinks someone is yankin yer chain.
Clete wrote:

The used Civic may come with the Honda certified warranty. I haven't talked to the dealership about this.
--
JD..

Even with the extended warranty, I sure would be going for new.
J.L.Hemmer wrote:

I'm trying to get them to let me keep the used one for a couple of days so I can check it out. If they don't make me a great deal and/or I find something I don't like about the used one then I'll see what they can do with the new ones. The ball appears to be in my court? They've got four of these, new models are arriving daily. Make me a deal! 8-)
--
JD..

On 09/28/2010 07:00 PM, JD wrote:

that's ridiculous. i'd charge you double, just on principle.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

Thank God I'm not buying the car from a whiskey-named poster. If I have the opportunity to keep it for a couple of days to get a feel for it, how is that ridiculous? Better yet, don't even waste my time or anyone's time in this newsgroup by replying. Have drink on me, Jim Beam. Cheers!
Jim Beam is the world's top-selling bourbon whiskey.

--
JD..

I have a 2008 Honda Civic LX Couple and love it......except for one thing.
It's a bitch to get in and out of. I'm not a big man, but I am 67 and feel it. To get into the car, I have to recline the back of the seat, and literally fall into the car ass first, then straighten the back. It's fun to do but not pleasant. Getting out is also a contortion act. I have to recline the seat and haul myself out with a chorus of accompanying grunts.
Oh yeah, once inside, there is no way you can reach the seatbelt without either moving the seat back or reclining it, unless, of course, you have 36 inch arms.
I wish you luck with whichever car you choose and hope very much you aren't arthiritic : )
Arthur
SnakeEyes wrote:

Dude..
Ouch! I'm 58 and I feel it but I had no problem entering or exiting the Coupe when I did the test drives. I've got a few more test drives to go so I'll pay particular attention to entry and exit because I plan to have this car when I'm 76.
Seat belts weren't a problem either but I'll look at those next test drive.
What I did notice is it's easier to enter and exit than my 92 Civic 2 door hatch which sits really low to the ground.
--
JD..

Erh, really, what kind of "break in". Modern engines don't really need one. A rebuilt, yes. But not a new one. Same with pads and disks (but not drums).

I have about 21 weeks on the used car (likely closer to 18 or 19).
Kelley shows private party to be $18500, dealer is $20K. This is Austin.
I'm will to bet you can get the used price down, and the same with the new. You're call.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Toby (Tri-Umph That's the Sweet Truth)
Dillon Pyron wrote:

So they say. I don't really believe that. I like to break them in, just in case. The Coupe comes with drums on the rear but I've never been too concerned with breaking those in. My first new car was a 1968 Pontiac Firebird so I've broken new cars before. 8-)

So far, they're not really giving me any great price breaks considering the new and used are 2010 models and they're starting to get 2011 models in. A new car loses about 15% to 20% when one drives it off the lot and I'd like to see that and more reflected in the price of the used one.
--
JD..

A 68 FBird is not a 2010 Civic. Way back then you had to break them in because Ford/GM/Chrysler were too lazy/stupid to build engines properly. My first new car was a 74 Cosworth Vega (I think it was a 74, but it was new). Yes, I did a beak in, including changing the oil at 1000 and 3000 miles.
My Fit had 000000 miles on it when I did my test drive (okay, maybe .1) Sitll had cardboard in the seats and no antenna. Break in consisted of driving it until the A1 light came on.
I crew for a junior fueler. Our break in after rebuilding the entire big rotating parts consists of about 30 seconds of running. And these cars are supposed to make 1000+ HP in a couple of milliseconds.

By now they are in the "sell it or smell it" stage with the new one. They're paying Honda by the month for the car and the 2011's are going to push it further back on the "I want" list.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Toby (Tri-Umph That's the Sweet Truth)
Dillon Pyron wrote:

Break-in seems to depend on who you want to believe:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
http://ask.cars.com/2007/10/engine-break-in.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_4558046_break-new-vehicle.html
When I go back to the dealership I plan to look in the owner's manual in the used one to see what it says about the break-in period.

This is what I would think but the local dealership isn't giving up much but we're still negotiating.
--
JD..

On 10/04/2010 10:55 AM, JD wrote: <snip crap>

they're not "negotiating", they're having fun reeling you in. sucker.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

You've never really said what you think is a fair price for a new Honda Civic Coupe. Calling me names and telling me how to buy a new car doesn't really address the issue.
What is a good price? Sticker Price is $18,995. Dealer Cost is $16,340.
--
JD..