New tires on 98 Accord LX - Do I need an alignment?

Page 2 of 2

In principal I agree but, how many people actually drive 9-10ths on the road? I think alignment guy's speaking of normal drivers.
In the back and front on normal honda's, the only adjustment is toe (how pointed in the tires are to each other). In the front, if the caster's off you actually have to loosen and move the entire subframe fore and aft (which means effectively it's not adjultable) . Camber's completely not adjustable. If you have bad camber, you've either lowered the car or something's bent.
You can put adjustable parts in, if you want to change the camber, upper control arm's in the back and front can be replaced with adjustable ones.
Dufus Systems wrote:

but how many accidents occur at any less than 9/10th's? /and/ adhesion limit depends on alignment!

right, but if it's bent, straighten it! that's why we check these things!

unless the car's lowered and as long as the bushings are factory, standard settings are fine.
Stephen:
Out of curiousity - do you see customers who actually get 60,000 million on a set off tires especially front wheel drive cars?
Any brands you prefer? I always had weird stuff with Michelins as they would seem to attract nails.
Well 60,000 million--never ;)
A few push the 60K number; a regional tire distributor is advertising a 100,000 tire. Realistically that rubber would be so hard that I wonder if it would have any grip. Most people have forgotten about any warranty by the 60k mark, and if you don't quite make it then the tire dealer offers them a pro rated offer perhaps 10 dollars off each on the new set.
My tire preference is the brand we sell, based on performance and what I see on a regular basis. Also my discount plays into it allot. There are a few of our names I don't like based upon the tread depth. I don't like tires that have the edge tread 2/32 less than the center because if you corner allot then you wear the tires edges and then your tire looks worn out while there is still tread in the center.
I hate Michelins only because thy have a stiff sidewall and are hard to remove from the rim sometimes. But as far as being "nail magnets" it seems as though all tires are equal. We do see more nails and flats in tires that are 80% worn...
--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician

Our Prius came with Potenza tires, which have a treadwear rating of 160 (!) - those really were "nail magnets." We had more punctures with those in two years than we had altogether in a 2-car family for more than 20 years. I think the soft compound let road debris get a perch and work its way into the tire. The Pirellis we put on haven't had a puncture yet.
Mike
yet OTOH, I've only seen a few punctures on the Prius/Potenza Combo... Perhaps you just had a string of bad luck? ;) But seriously, When the Prius came out it was pointed out that the tires had a heaver load rating than Standard Potenza's--We had to order extras in. We saw a lot of premature wear on those tires, not lasting near as long as needed, so the BOSS suggested bumping the pressure up a bit (34psi I believe) and the wear slowed down. A local shop put a Toyo on the car and when the dealer saw it they suggested the car be towed to a good tire shop to have a proper tire with the adequate load rating put on.
Now this is all fine and dandy; and mind you this is Toyota thought process not my personal thought. Just be sure the Pirellis are rated for that car.
--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician
Tom Jackson wrote:

skip the alignment. id chalk the talk up to an overeager young tire monkey trying to sound more knowledgeable than he really is. he probably drives a mustang that needs an alignment every year :)
On 2/20/06 12:48 PM, in article dtd2t5$jan$ snipped-for-privacy@newsmaster.cc.columbia.edu,

I think it must be part of Costco's normal advice. I bought tires there for my Acura once and they told me I should get an alignment prior to ever seeing the car. I think it is probably a safe assumption that the vast majority of cars need an alignment by the time they need tires.
All tire shops should do this; it is to validate the tire manufactures mileage warranty-- Don't do it and the tires wear out in 10000 miles, you could eat the replacement cost; do it then you might get pro rated for the amount of tires you worn away.
--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician

Not true. I've owned cars that didn't need an alignment until suspension parts were changed. -------------- Alex
And I've seen cars out of alignment from the factory.
--
Stephen W. Hansen
ASE Certified Master Automobile Technician

Absolutely Stephen! This DOES happen. Even the so-called luxury marque nameplates ship vehicles ocassionally with alignment issues right out of the chute.
Ron M.