New tires & rims pull to the right

Page 1 of 2
I just put winter tires and steel rims on my 2001 Accord coupe. I've noticed the car seems to want to pull to the right now, and didn't before. The tires were on a different car last winter, is it possible the camber/toe
was different enough on the old car that it's causing this one to track to the right? If that's the case, it should eventually even out as the tires wear to match this car's setup, right?

try swapping the tires to the opposite side,see what happens.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Ditto.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Well they are a directional tire, so if that solves the problem should I have them both remounted the other way around? Or would that just mean that it's a tire wear thing that will eventually go away?

JM wrote:

In that case, try swapping them front-back. If the alignment was off only front or rear on the original car, only one set should be worn, and at the very least, it should CHANGE the degree to which it affects your steering now.

Directional doesn't matter. Swap them left to right anyway for testing, but be careful on wet roads.
This sort of problem does not just "go away".
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote: <inappropriate top-posting added, just to be a git>
Of course, you could always take your car by a tire shop and have them give the tires a look - most should do it for free, and they'll know at a glance if there are any strange wear patterns. If the tires are good, you'll probably need to have the alignment done, and most larger tire shops can do this as well.

a directional WINTER tire? I didn't know there was such an animal.
why would a winter tire need to be directional? What benefit? It doesn't make sense.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/ObserveG02plus.asp
OBSERVE G-02 plus - Ultimate Traction Winter Radial for passenegr vehicles

* Designed with an aggressive unidirectional tread pattern for superior performance in extreme snow and ice conditions, the Toyo OBSERVE G-02 plus winter tire technology was specifically built to handle Canada's most brutal winters.

that's not much of a "directional" tread pattern. Barely "directional".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Actually, just noticed today that the Michelin X-ICE snow tires on my MPV are unidirectional as well...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=X-Ice

Again,not much "directionality".(a deep Vee tread) (compared to common sport directional tire treads)
For a snow tire,you really can't go "directional" like regular sport tires(like Yoko ES100),you'd lose the snow traction ability.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I didn't realize there could be varying degrees of "directionality"... is it possible to be "only a little bit directional"? Is that like being "slightly pregnant"?

by that I mean the degree of slant of the grooving.If you examine the ES100 tread,the "directional" grooves wrap much more around the tire in the plane of the tire,a "deeper Vee". your tire is much more "cross tread" than a typical directional tread tire. Thus you get more tire noise on dry pavement.
I doubt you'd see much difference if your tire was mounted the "wrong way".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I'm looking at assorted different pictures of various directional tires. Few of their tread patterns are as "exaggerated" as those on the ES100s.
Fact is, the manufacturer considers the design "directional" and the tires are accordingly marked with directional arrows. Thus they ARE, in fact, directional tires, whether or not Jim Yanik considers them to be so.
Jim Yanik wrote:

Providing they are not directional.
JM wrote:

that's not as common as you may suppose. if it still pulls, rotate the tires. if that affects it, keep rotating until you find a combo that works. or replace them.

Heh heh, rub it in why dontcha?? You don't know what you're missing.. snowbanks you can't see over when pulling out into traffic, 2" of ice on the car in the morning, having to walk to school barefoot in 2 ft of snow, uphill... oh wait, that's another story...

Well,I USED to live up North,until 1986,grew up in Buffalo. I spent MANY a morn waiting in snow for the school bus. I don't miss snow at all. I keep some pix on my PC of last year's deep lake-effect snow in Western NY.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

IIRC, Buffaloono really got hamered last year..
JT