Newer cars a lot safer? Worth the expense?

i suppose automobile airbags were developed after the emergency inflatable slides that every airliners aircrafts nowadays are equipped with. Those slides have saved lives, of course, but they are also known to have killed and injured ground workers by accidental deployments when the aircrafts were parked.

now imagine you're driving and, at the same time, sipping gourmet coffee from a steel can

and the airbag deploys for no reason at all.. bwahahahaha... hello!! are you alright? bwahahaha...

well... it's just that the airbags are designed upon the premises that you always assume an appropriate driving posture and keep a safe distance to the steering wheel.

but doing so is essential to a safe driving, in big cars, in small cars, with airbags, with trash bags...

what do i have to say? keep your current car and save money, just wear your seatbelt and be alert, turn off your radio, CD and cell phone, no food and drink, anticipate foul moves, and you'll be driving like a devil in the our murderous freeways and get home in one piece.

cheers

Reply to
bi241

i'm not big on buying a bigger car for safety, but i would certainly be more than happy if my car had not just airbags, but side impact airbags. that definitely seems to make a difference with the current crop of cars.

yeah, i was looking at a civic si yesterday; 190 hp, but 2900 lbs. and that still makes it one of the lighter cars out there, even at its size range. but that compares to 2400 lbs for my 92. weirdly, the other car i was looking at was an acura rx, only 2800 lbs. when did hondas get heavier than acuras? and 201 hp.

every weekend there's some fatal crash reported in the paper here. at least half the time, the victim is thrown from the vehicle. i figure that means they're not wearing their belts.