Newer cars a lot safer? Worth the expense?

Page 2 of 2
On Feb 10, 2:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Side curtain airbags can provide critical protection for your head in a side collision. In a rear-ender, your seat is likely to break. As you are aware, the overall structural integrity of your car is only marginal (and may be further weakened by corrosion). Honda brakes of that era kinda suck.
I keep a car of similar vintage around for in-town use but drive something newer and larger on the highway. If I was restricted to a single vehicle it wouldn't be the old one.
YMMV
Newer cars are much safer. Particularly with side airbags.

On Feb 10, 2:56 pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

i suppose automobile airbags were developed after the emergency inflatable slides that every airliners aircrafts nowadays are equipped with. Those slides have saved lives, of course, but they are also known to have killed and injured ground workers by accidental deployments when the aircrafts were parked.
now imagine you're driving and, at the same time, sipping gourmet coffee from a steel can
and the airbag deploys for no reason at all.. bwahahahaha... hello!! are you alright? bwahahaha...
well... it's just that the airbags are designed upon the premises that you always assume an appropriate driving posture and keep a safe distance to the steering wheel.
but doing so is essential to a safe driving, in big cars, in small cars, with airbags, with trash bags...
what do i have to say? keep your current car and save money, just wear your seatbelt and be alert, turn off your radio, CD and cell phone, no food and drink, anticipate foul moves, and you'll be driving like a devil in the our murderous freeways and get home in one piece.
cheers
On Feb 10, 2:56pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

i'm not big on buying a bigger car for safety, but i would certainly be more than happy if my car had not just airbags, but side impact airbags. that definitely seems to make a difference with the current crop of cars.