News Report re: Hybrid Accords

I know what you're saying, and again, its very simplified. "top heavyness" is to the rollability of cars on an impact, what a tennis ball hitting a wall is to two cars impacting. its a very simplified and overly basic evaluation.

I'll put it simply, into moresimple terms. a heavier car carries more energy. A taller car has a higher center of gravity.

now, in an impact between a large car and a smaller one, the intial ofrces may be --->

Reply to
flobert

Hello, I understand your points. I have a neighbor that once owned a monster sized pick-up truck. He had a full sized camper mounted on the bed of the truck. He told me that a major wind storm almost blew over the truck. He said that he was afraid to drive the truck whenever there was a storm. He does not have a camper mounted on his new truck. Please tell me if you agree with this statement: "Monster sized pick-ups and SUVs are more likely (than most cars) to roll over in a high speed accident. The reason is because monster sized pick-ups and SUVs are more top heavy than most cars." I should note that I have driven my Honda Accord in a major windstorm and did not have any problems controlling the car. It would NEVER blow over in most windstorms. Jason

Reply to
Jason

ANY large truck or SUV is. doesn't have to be monster sized (like the one my wife's cousin drives - an f350 whose wing-mirror I can walk under, and where my 2yo can walk under the engine without hitting her head.

used to have a 98 daihatsu hijet as a work vehicle. We'd take the 4 rear seats out, and literally lioad it to the window level with gear, inlcuding some 350lb of batteries. COG was really low (lower than most cars, in fact, since the engine was mounted under the front seats) a moderatly windy day would blow it around even then. Any high-sided vehicle will wander, when its very windy. Heck, my 87 and 97 minivans wander when its windy. Its what they do.

Reply to
flobert

We are in agreement. Last year, I had to use a rental car and took the cheapest car on the lot to save money. It was Toyota Echo. I was amazed that a company like Toyota would build a car like the Echo. It's really narrow and was even taller than my Honda Accord. It also had really small wheels. Despite the fact that it is a car--it is very high profile (aka top heavy). I drove the car thru a wind storm and had a very difficult time keeping the car under control. I was driving at a high rate of speed on the freeway and the wind almost blew the Echo into a car in the other lane. I have driven my Accord thru the same sort of windstorms and never had trouble controlling the vehicle. I know that the drivers of monster sized SUVs and pickups trucks that have a camper mounted in the bed will agree that High Profile vehicles are more likely than cars to turn over in a high speed accident or major wind storm. Even high profile cars like the Echo are also at risk of turning over or turning upside down in a high speed accident. Do you agree? Jason

Reply to
Jason

Cars are considered a major source of pollution. Flashlights aren't. The hybrid system is saving maybe 800 gallons of gas over 100,000 miles and emit eight tons less CO2. The batteries don't weigh that much and they will certainly be recycled.

This is demonstrably false (not F=MA, the part about achieving the same economy if weight of the hybrid system were removed) The hybrids compete against similar size and performance cars which don't have the hybrid electrical system and the hybrids get much better millage.

Milage pounds HP EPA Consumer Reports Civic EX 2740 140 30/38 28 Civic Hybrid 2875 110 49/51 37 Prius 2890 110 60/51 44

What are the coolest cars out there? Must be Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, they are the best sellers. No doubt being cool can sell some cars but it is far from the only motivator.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Interesting theories, but the real world data is very straightforward, for example:

"In the latest crash figures available from 2003, provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (see chart below), there were 142 fatalities per million registered vehicles for the smallest cars. That figure drops to 108 fatalities for the next larger class of cars. For large sedans, that number drops to 61 per million. "

That was from:

IIHS and others have studied this issue extensively, and the occupants of smaller automobiles die in accidents much more often than to those in larger cars. You can try to handwave it away with driver demographics, but that doesn't add up either.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Small cars *can* be made much more resistant, but then it's not all other things being equal, "ceteris paribus".

J.

Reply to
JXStern

What he said, though it was brave of them to try.

Now, if they want to take the I4 and put on a double hybrid boost so that it outperforms the V6 and still gets better mileage than the plain version, we might have something!

J.

Reply to
JXStern

I have had an 03 Civic Hybrid and now have an 05' Accord Hybrid. If I had to have one or the other, in today's market and gas prices, I still choose the Accord. It is my trip vehicle and the 03 Civic did not cut it. Wandered, under powered (Do NOT get the CVT Civic if you pull out onto busy 50 mph two lane roads, regularly), and uncomfortable, even with the Leather interior (aftermarket) upgrade I had on it.

Yes, I like power and my first new car was a V8 back in the day - '70s. The Accord Hybrid (as is true of ALL current Hybrids) will NOT save you money over the life of ownership, fact - read any study. The premium cost is too high to be made up by gas savings. Heaven help you should need something unique fixed. (The AC radiator/condensor is $750) So, why own it.

It is the fastest production Honda Accord with 15 hp ('05) more than the non-hybrid V6. The Hybrid gets 29 mpg in town (and I do get about that) and I get 34.5 mpg at 80 mph average highway and the rated 37 mpg if I average 60 - 65 mph. The non-hybrid 05 V6 comparably equipped, actually gets 18-22 city and 27- 32 highway.

So, I ride in luxury (the Accord starts with everything and adds hybrid), get the best mileage of any vehicle with comparable performance, can comfortably transport 5 and have LOCKOUT-ABLE trunk storage (the Prius has no secure storage when you leave it for service or leave valuables in the "trunk").

I work around and build military hybrids and chose to own one, just to say that I do. Status - which is the only reason to own one - today. That will not be the case in 5 to 10 years.

BTW: Yes, I am hunting for some lightning bolt symbol magnets to put on the side to flaunt that it is a hybrid,

Honda did just fine, by me. (except for the lack of a spare, which I have solved - after market.)

Reply to
CC

(Note: also posted elsewhere in the topic)

I have had an 03 Civic Hybrid and now have an 05' Accord Hybrid. If I had to have one or the other, in today's market and gas prices, I still choose the Accord. It is my trip vehicle and the 03 Civic did not cut it. Wandered, under powered (Do NOT get the CVT Civic if you pull out onto busy 50 mph two lane roads, regularly), and uncomfortable, even with the Leather interior (aftermarket) upgrade I had on it.

Yes, I like power and my first new car was a V8 back in the day - '70s. The Accord Hybrid (as is true of ALL current Hybrids) will NOT save you money over the life of ownership, fact - read any study. The premium cost is too high to be made up by gas savings. Heaven help you should need something unique fixed. (The AC radiator/condensor is $750) So, why own it.

It is the fastest production Honda Accord with 15 hp ('05) more than the non-hybrid V6. The Hybrid gets 29 mpg in town (and I do get about that) and I get 34.5 mpg at 80 mph average highway and the rated 37 mpg if I average 60 - 65 mph. The non-hybrid 05 V6 comparably equipped, actually gets 18-22 city and 27- 32 highway.

So, I ride in luxury (the Accord starts with everything and adds hybrid), get the best mileage of any vehicle with comparable performance, can comfortably transport 5 and have LOCKOUT-ABLE trunk storage (the Prius has no secure storage when you leave it for service or leave valuables in the "trunk").

I work around and build military hybrids and chose to own one, just to say that I do. Status - which is the only reason to own one - today. That will not be the case in 5 to 10 years.

BTW: Yes, I am hunting for some lightning bolt symbol magnets to put on the side to flaunt that it is a hybrid,

H>IMO Honda completely missed the boat on this one by going for a

Reply to
CC