NO AC

I have 91 Honda CRX. Tried converting the R-12 to R-134a ac system. I got some freon into the system, however it is not cooling down significantly. I have the same problem for an 88 cadillac deville,

4.5L. . I did the following for both cars. While car was running evacuated what remained of the R-12, within a few seconds. Then reversed the procedure and recharged the system, with the ac running on high. For some unknown reason it only takes less than 12oz [5psi]? Any suggestions will be helpful. Why will it not take anymore or get colder.
Reply to
LostInEwing

as far as I know, R12 and R134a are not interchangeable. Unless you do a crapload of changes in the AC system.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

You need to get a vacuum pump and pull a vacuum on the system before you charge the system with freon. Otherwise the system is full of air.

Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Frankly, I see DIY R134a conversions as risky. Some of that is that I know there are parts of the job I don't know - when the receiver drier has to be changed out, how to remove the old oil and put in the type that is compatible with 134a, what the R134a charge amount is (not the same as the R12 charge). I do know a properly done conversion involves flushing the system, draining the oil in the compressor, and pulling a vacuum for 30 minutes, then filling with a prescribed weight of R134a and proper oil.

I had one R12 system in a Volvo professionally converted to R134a after the compressor seized. It cost $1200 about ten years ago and still performed poorly compared to the R12 system. It's not too late to take the thing to a pro, confess your sins, and see about getting it properly serviced back to R12. Expensive, but going further down the R134a road after this start could be much more expensive.

For a hint as to why R134a is not for amateurs, look at how the pros determine how much 134a an undocumented system takes:

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee