NO AIRBAGS 97 ACCORD..HOW DO I MAKE SRS LIGHT STAY OFF!!!

I BOUGHT A A 97 HONDA ACCORD LX USED....WITH NO AIRBAGS..(BEEN WRECKED) ....I HAVE NO PLANS OF REPLACEING THE AIRBAGS...SO IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE THE SRS LIGHT GO OFF AND STAY OFF...(FUSE)...(CUT A WIRE) ................ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE HELPFUL...TY

Reply to
JIM via CarKB.com

You might want to check and see if not replacing the airbags is legal where you are. You may find that you have no choice but to replace them.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

I doubt there would be anyplace in the USA that REQUIRES airbags to be installed and operational. That is only on new cars. The airbags do not contribute to the safety and road worthiness of the vehicle itself.

Reply to
halo2 guy

What's the point in having safety features installed in a vehicle if they're not required to be there?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Remove the bulb.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Google easily spit up Utah as one place that requires blown airbags to be replaced, *I think* at least if the work is being done by a shop.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

Yes... Aren't "safety" devices irritating! However, I strongly recommend not messing around with the SRS system if there are any un-detonated airbags left in the system! You risk significant injury (most notably ...almost guaranteed permanent hearing devastation!!!) if you cause an automobile airbag to go off while you are in close proximity!

I don't know about the '97 Hondas, but it appears that the recent models want to see approximately 2 Ohms across the leads for both the primary and secondary inflators. Once the impedance the SRS unit "sees" is ok, I would expect to be able to clear the DTC trouble code(s).

Reply to
Erik Nelson

Yes but we are not talking about repair work to a car. We are talking about a guy who is driving the car and is not obligated to any authority to replace them.

Reply to
halo2 guy

Thanks for checking, good work.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

If you put the correct value resistor across the wires going to each (now missing) air bag, the air bag controller unit will believe the air bags are in place. You still have to reset the system to turn off the light, but it will not come back on again. People will often install kill-switches for the passenger air bag if they have a baby seat there. This kill switch disconnects the air bag and connects a resistor in its place. Perhaps if you search for "airbag disable switch" you can find information about resistor values etc.

Reply to
Randolph

"halo2 guy" wrote in news:f snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The NHTSA specifically prohibits disablement without written permission.

I would guess that they would take a dim view of simply not replacing them.

But then you need to get caught first...

Reply to
TeGGer®

"E. Meyer" wrote in news:BE7EF846.C9873% snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org:

I disabled the airbag in our 1999 Tercel. All it took was to unplug the yellow connector from the airbag ECU. That turned off the SRS light as well.

I'm in Ontario, Canada, so it's legal for me to do this.

Reply to
TeGGer®

Randolph wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@junkmail.com:

Why can't he just unplug the connector at the ECU? That works with Toyotas.

Reply to
TeGGer®

and if any of those don't work, you could always do the obvious, remove the light bulb....... Robb

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

On my '94 Civic there is a piece of circuitry in the cluster that lights up the SRS light. Looking at the wiring diagram, it seemed to me that disconnecting the wire harness at the control unit will turn the light /on/. The wiring diagram does not show any component values, so it's hard to tell.

After reading you comment about removing the main connector, I dug a little deeper in the service manual. In the trouble shooting section, it says that after unplugging the connector at the SRS unit, the SRS light should be /off/, so I guess that would be the simplest solution.

Reply to
Randolph