No early first oil change

I've got a new Accord and my custom when buying a new car has always been to change the oil at about 1000 miles. No doubt that's a hold over from the
bad old days when you had to get the metal chips and debris deposited during the sloppy engine manufacturing process out of there. Unnecessary today I'm sure with improved manufacturing-- but I was going to do it nonetheless.
But the owner's manual specifically says not to change the oil early the first time. Why is that? Is there some kind of special "break in" oil in there?
Follow the manual. Yes, break-in oil.