Octane Booster

Hey all, i run my 4cyl honda vtec on premium fuel (as it should be). The premium here in australia is supposedly nothing compared to the overseas ones so i put some octane booster in my tank. It ran well the
first tank yet i put a little bit more in the next time i filled up. After filling it the second time and adding the octane boost my car is running extremely rough. Conditions are
- Idleing inconsistently and lots of engine movement - can feel it in the wheel! - Changed engine tempo, much deeper growl, sorta like a WRX with a 4 inch exhaust (and my car isnt a WRX) - Extremely slow in low revs and struggling to pull hard, same in higher revs - When the VTEC kicks in it sometimes clears up but other times its extremely laggy. - Sounds like the cars going to backfire...... well not really but it has that excess fuel build up sound in the exhaust like theres unburnt spits.
Any ideas guys? i thought maybe the octane boost has clogged up my injectors yet im not too sure.
Thanks

Nope.
It's designed to run on regular.
If you doubt me, check your owner's manual.
Gas with higher octane rating actually creates *less* power in an engine that's designed for the lower octane.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

engine
Except for the 240HP V6 in the Accord. About 10 more HP with premium.

Adding fuel injector cleaner is a cheap and easy step to take. If it clears up in the next couple hundred km you know that's what it was, and that additive isn't for you.
Mike

Hey Mate, What's is it like to live down under? I believe that you should start making use of regular gasoline and stop adding octane booster to the gasoline. I hope that you did not "burn" or damage the valves. I suggest that you or your favorite mechanic take a close look at the valves to make sure they are still working the way they are suppose to work. Also--adjust the valves if the valves are working normally. I don't know about the gasoline in your country--if it's dirty--you should install a new gasoline filter to see if that helps. If you have dirty gasoline in your town--you may have to replace the fuel filter everytime your engines starts to run badly. jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
VTEC wrote:

How much gas is still in the tank? It might be easiest to drain and refill it with regular gas. Disposing of the old gas might be a hassle, so it might be best to have your mechanic take care of it.
Eric
First thing I would do is siphon all the contaminated gas out of tank and fill with the octaine suggested by owners manual. You may be lucky and as soon as old gas clears line car will go back to normal. s

"VTEC" wrote: > Hey all, i run my 4cyl honda vtec on premium fuel (as it > should be). The premium here in australia is supposedly > nothing compared to the overseas ones so i put some octane > booster in my tank. It ran well the first tank yet i put a > little bit more in the next time i filled up. After filling it > the second time and adding the octane boost my car is running > extremely rough. Conditions are > > - Idleing inconsistently and lots of engine movement - can > feel it in the wheel! > - Changed engine tempo, much deeper growl, sorta like a WRX > with a 4 inch exhaust (and my car isnt a WRX) > - Extremely slow in low revs and struggling to pull hard, > same in higher revs > - When the VTEC kicks in it sometimes clears up but other > times its extremely laggy. > - Sounds like the cars going to backfire...... well not really > but it has that excess fuel build up sound in the exhaust like > theres unburnt spits. > > Any ideas guys? i thought maybe the octane boost has clogged > up my injectors yet im not too sure. > > Thanks
hey again guys, thanks for all your responses!! Turns out my head gasket was leaking co-incidently at the same time id put the injector cleaner in! Found water in where the sparkplugs were so only 3 cylinders were firing!
Its not bad downunder thanks jason! Pretty kewl place to live.
The reason i said the fuel was not all that great as ive been told the octane content in the fuels here both premium and unleaded were lower than places like japan. Seeing as i have an imported car i thought id run it with a higher shot of octane, it did make a difference though! Oh well, time for a new head gasket haha, thanks guys!
VTEC wrote:

Happy to hear you found the problem.

That might be a misunderstanding. There are different ways of measuring the octane rating of gas, there is the Motor Octane Number and the Research Octane Number, the difference being how the measurements are done. In the US the published number is called PON, or Pump Octane Number and this is the average of RON and MON. In Europe and many other regions the RON only numbers are published. For a given gas blend, the RON number is higher than the MON number, so a European gas sold as 92 octane will be a lower octane gas than what is sold as 92 octane in the US. In the US, regular is 87 octane, intermediate is 89 octane and premium is 93 (sometimes 92) octane. You'll probably find that the octane rating for the different categories are higher in Australia (assuming they use RON like in Europe). Thus a US Premium is probably equivalent to an Australian Premium even though the posted numbers are different.

Being able to laugh when facing a head gasket replacement makes you a stouter man than I am, VTEC! Sorry to hear about the tough break, glad it is on the mending path.
Mike