Odometer Class Action Suit?

Page 1 of 2
I just received paperwork from the feds concerning a suit that will acheive Class Action status on Accord odometers. Of all cars, our '05 Accord is the
most accurate! I do, however, have a different car that has a similar 3-4% error on the speedometer & odometer. So, now I'm wondering how common a problem is this? If I switch tire sizes, it all goes out the window, anyway.
Anyone else question their odometer?
Bill Radio
Bill Radio wrote:

Sure. The odometer on my '88 Civic is about 2-3% off. For what it's worth, slight errors can be adjusted for by switching to different tires. Try experimenting with a tire size calculator such as http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html .
Eric
I've noticed when I pass through the school or police van radars my 2000 Ody shows about 2-3 mph below what my speedometer is showing. As an aside, this is a replacement unit, because my first one blew (quit) during the warranty period.
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 23:47:05 -0700, "Bill Radio"

Interestingly, that's what I've seen in all the modern cars and trucks I've driven the last few years. 2 mph conservative at low speeds, 3 (sometimes 4) mph at highway speeds.
Mike

Comparing my 2001 Accord to GPS, the speedometer is dead on. Reads about 1 mph fast at all speeds.
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 10:11:22 -0600, Flatlander47

I've questioned the speedometer on my 2004 Accord as being a little optimistic, reading 65mph when others are passing me in the presence of Highway Patrol car! And, um, I forget what else triggered suspicion, but I estimated at least 2-3mph discrepancy.
However, if anything, I suspected the odometer of being a tad pessimistic, reading shorter than actual distances, maybe a couple of percent in the other direction.
So the combination means I look at the speedometer, estimate my time of arrival, and can't understand why I'm late.
J.

1
On several long trips I have had a go at calibrating my speedometer. The accuracy of my calculation is 100% dependent on the assumption that the odometer is reading correctly. I set the cruise control to hold several speeds, usually 60, 65, 70 and 80 mph and then record the miles traveled over a 3 minute time period. The results were relatively consistent--the speedometer reading was always higher than the calculated number and it was a combination of a percentage of the speed plus a fixed value. The error was 4% of the speedometer reading plus 2. So when set to 80, calculated was 75; 70 vs 65, 65 vs 60, 60 vs 61 . Not too sure just how accurate this is but I do know that when I was moving at the 70 mph (65 speed limit) I always seemed to be the slowest one on the road. MLD

The best way to check is to use the mile markers on the interstate highways.

I'm so used to the markers here in Arizona I forget not all states have them. I know California doesn't.
Mike
Yes California does! Take a look at those little white rectangular paddles along to side of the road. The Large numbers on them are post-miles. Also at certain markers that end in ##.00 there will be a large white mark in the middle of the sideline stripe. These may be 5 miles apart or less. This is so that the CHP can clock your speed from the air.
Randy
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 16:02:43 -0700, Michael Pardee wrote:

Thanks for the info!
Mike
"JXStern"

My 2004 Accord is dead on. I've tested it several times and at various speeds using a handheld GPS. I've also tested it against the traffic signboards that tell you your speed as you approach it. Under all curcumstances, the readings match up. I can't say the same for the three Civics I owned previously.
On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 05:20:47 -0700, Michael Pardee wrote:

I was surprised at the accuracy on the speedo on my 06 Civic Si. When I pass through the police radar truck areas, I have never been more than 1 MPH off, at any speed range.
In all of my past vehicles, they would be off by 1-2 at 30, and 3-4 at 60.
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 23:47:05 -0700, "Bill Radio"

For decades, manufacturers have intentionally aimed for calibration which was as much as 10% above reality. There are a number of advantages to this - the owner thinks he is getting better gas mileage, the car is lasting longer, maintenance intervals come sooner and replacement of the vehicle will come earlier if the decision is based on the odometer. That said, it seems like the odometers have become more accurate over the last 10 - 15 years.
As you point out, tire size can throw off the odometer no matter how well it was calibrated. Even tire wear and inflation will have minor effects. Also, different brands/models of tires can vary slightly in size, even if they have the same size designation. Add in a reasonable production tolerance and a desire to error on the high side and you can have perhaps a +4% error even though the manufacturer made a good faith effort to deliver an accurate instrument.
That said, if the manufacturer can be shown to have intentionally delivered a significantly miscalibrated odometer, it might be cause for legal action to recover loses associated with excess vehicle depreciation. To win this, I think they should have to show that the manufacturer in question was significantly worse than comparable cars in this regard since the value of a used vehicle is compared to others on the market. The manufacturer could argue that the odometer measures "odometer miles" which are comparable with other used vehicles within the make if not between makes. He could even argue that, if his make is worse than other in this regard, that the over-optimistic odometer reading has given his brand a reputation for quality that compensates for the excess mileage.
Do the papers provided by the court mention any specific level of inaccuracy? If they can't show that the cars average at least +4% with original tires, the case is bogus IMO.
I am a Honda owner and am furious. I received a copy of the "settlement" in the mail yesterday. The only ones benefiting from the suit are the attorneys that filed the case. The only benefit I can get is "any out of pocket expenses occurring between "Mile 36,000" and "Mile 37,800". If the mileage on the odometer is incorrect, then 1) the MPG is not as good as was promoted and the advertising that factored into my decision to buy a Honda was false; 2) both of the trip meters also incorrectly state miles traveled; 3) Honda owners can not sell their used Hondas for their actual value since the odometer reading, which is a factor in the sales price, will overstate the actual miles driven; 4) vehicle usage taxes owed will be erroneously high, due to the overstated odometer.
chand
Gordon McGrew wrote:

On 18 Jan 2007 20:29:42 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

This implies that the odometers are reading 5% high. Therefore you get a 5% extension in your warranty. That seems fair.

Have you checked it?

The odometer does not affect your actual mileage of course. If you mean that you are measuring your MPG and the number is 5% higher than reality, then you need to factor that into your calculation. If you are referring to the EPA estimate, then rest assured that the estimate is in no way dependent on the accuracy of the odometer.

You need to factor this in, but I don't see how you have been harmed by this.

This may or may not be a valid point. But consider that, to the extent that used Odysseys compete with each other for buyers, they are all at an equal disadvantage. To the extent that they compete with other cars, we don't know how accurate those cars' odometers are. I can tell you that +5% is pretty typical for odometer accuracy.

If you pay taxes on this basis, then you are overpaying. Where are you that calculates taxes this way? I have never heard of this and it seems ripe for cheating by periodically disconnecting the odometer.
I would have a hard time working up much anger about this.

Bill Radio wrote:

i can't understand why anyone would launch a lawsuit on this in the first place, let alone one that complains about where cars are /accurate/. i say this is an anti-import troll.

acheive
the
3-4%
An inaccurate reading odometer can affect your mileage warranty by reporting higher mileage than is accurately on the car.
DodgeDriver wrote:

1. there are legal limits on inaccuracy. 2. this car is allegedly /too/ accurate.
makes no sense.
They filed the suit so the lawyers could collect $9.8 million in legal fees from Honda!
I'm sure that if Honda odometers consistently read LOW, the same four lawyers would file in behalf of purchasers of used Hondas.
Texas' tort reform has chased these small fry lawyers into federal court.