Odometer Class Action Suit?

Page 2 of 2

Well, enjoy the 5% warranty boost.

Apparently very common.
Many years ago, when I first got a handheld GPS, I tested it against my 92 Civic--and found that the Civic's speedometer was showing 5mph fast, no matter what.
Fast forward to today. I'm driving my mother's 94 Civic home to sell it; interestingly enough, I'm driving in exactly the same place I drove years ago when I tested my 92...and the GPS shows that my mother's 94 behaves exactly the same way as my 92 did.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

almost everyone opts for the "fast" solution, some more so than others. [bmw and ford really push the bleeding edge, especially over 70 where there is no legal accuracy requirement.]
the reasoning is quite simple. customers want their car to be "fast". [faster 0-60, bmw drivers bowling along at what they think is 85...] cops want cars to be "slow". everybody's happy. it makes no difference to fuel economy. it stops you getting tickets. i see no problem.
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 19:24:10 -0800, jim beam

The issue is really the odometer which does cost money by accelerating depreciation, maintenance intervals, trade-in intervals and warranty expiration. The odometer and speedometer do not necessarily have the same error.
Gordon McGrew wrote:

odometer/speedometer inconsistency is true, but even if the odometer is off, what impact does it have? what's the difference between a 30k mile car and a 33k mile car in value? it will affect you if you lease a car, [which incidentally is a very high proportion of bmw "sales"] and you go over your lease mileage limits, but again, the manufacturer wins - no incentive for them to erode the 10% "slop" they're allowed. and how are you going to "prove" a problem? "sorry sir, you can't have had your tires inflated properly."

I read a sci-fi short story many years ago called "The Marching Morons." (IIRC) One of the major facets of the theme of a populace ignorant of the stupidity of their lives was found in their cars. The protagonist came from present day to find himself in that future, and when he was driven somewhere in a "modern" car he noticed irregularities. The speedometer swiftly hit 300 mph and there were sparks blowing past the window, but the scenery moved past at about 35 mph and the time it took to get to their destination was more consistent with 35 mph than 300. But... everybody was happy!
Mike
On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 21:32:36 -0500, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Got a Garmin c320 GPS for Christmas. Checked my speedo on a long trip yesterday, and much like the street-side police checks, the GPS shows my speed as within 1MPH at all ranges.
They certainly have gotten better over the years!