OEM Online Honda Parts Sites

Page 2 of 3

It CAN be collected and passed on to the local taxing authority.
However, there's no mandate that such collection take place in such a situation.
There's a big difference. A retailer may act as a tax collector for any venue.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

That retailer who collects a bogus tax is open to litigation which they will lose.
A state law can never trump a federal law. In this case, federal law is specific regarding taxes and the internet. That's why state guv'ments are cryin' that giant whining sound.
JT

Sure, if it's bogus.
But if they choose to collect the tax and pass it on to the appropriate taxing authority, that's fine.
There's nothing that PREVENTS them from doing so. Fortunately for us, neither is there anything that FORCES them to do so.
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

You should read the legislation more carefully. The federal law prohibits forcing companies to collect sales taxes from out of state customers. It does not prohibit states from charging or collecting use taxes directly from the customers.
Some people don't seem to comprehend this distinction.

One is legally required to report it on one's state's taxes and pay sales tax on it. Poster "Say What" is correct. Check state tax instructions yourself.
The enforceability of these state sales tax laws is another matter.
Elle wrote:

In NJ it asks if you've made any untaxed (sales tax) purchases. Anyone who answers "yes" is paying a Stupid Tax IMHO. ;)
Tony Harding wrote:

Ain't that the truth... But stupid often does what stupid sez.
Ya gotta luv 'em!
JT
Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

No argument there, JT.
Elle wrote:

no you're not. if your supplier doesn't have a presence in your state, your online purchases are federally exempt. simply factor that into your purchase decision and if it makes sense, order from a supplier outside your state and save the tax.
You really need to take some classes in reading comprehension. You may then understand what you are reading and get some of the facts correct.

This thread gets my vote for most anal retentive of the year. Quick show of hands - Who among the readers here has ever voluntarily sent their state a sales tax payment for an out of state internet purchase?
On 12/26/07 6:21 PM, in article

You'll find it happens quite frequently after an audit...
E Meyer wrote:

Yeah, right... I'm going to volunteer my internet purchases to an auditor who has absolutely no way to find them any other way. Get real!
On 12/26/07 7:31 PM, in article

If you think so... Give it a try.
Presumably, you'll be able to make up receipts showing tax paid...
E Meyer wrote:

And exactly who is going to be asking for these receipts?
I live in Texas, a state which has no state income tax. There is no personal state tax filing, no forms, no affidavits, no audits. Sales taxes are collected by businesses.
The Federal government has no incentive to care about this. If you live in a state without an income tax, sales taxes are deductible, thereby possibly reducing your federal income tax due.
Back to my original assertion -- This is the most anal retentive thread of the year. I'm still waiting for that show of hands. Who here has sent unsolicited sales tax payments for internet purchases to their state?
On 12/26/07 9:43 PM, in article

They are solicited. Google to verify the point.
I posted my carefully qualified comment only to be complete. Fact is, states are trying to deal with the loss of sales tax revenue from internet purchases.
I have at least once paid taxes on internet purchases. It was due in small part to fear of possibly being audited for other things. But other times I have blown it off, breaking the law. Fact is it's a pittance. I happen to be grateful to live in a country where the chances of my political leaders being murdered, along with dozens of innocent people, are slim. Paying taxes to support our government (while it's a terrible system, I know you seriously could not come up with another one). Your reaction is stupidity.
Why do you care what other people's personal choices are? You some kind of busybody?
The bigger point of the thread is I paid some $4 in sales tax yesterday to a local internet OEM parts supplier and saved some $17 (Majestic's s/h charge) in transportation etc. costs. The part was the same price both locally and at Majestic.
These days, before ordering online from a company far away, folks should either google or call their dealer and ask if they have a parts department that sells through the internet, with competitive yada prices.
On 12/27/07 12:58 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, "Elle"

What a load of crap!!
So according to you, if I choose not to somehow send my state a tax payment from out of state internet purchases I have made (as far as I know, there is not even a mechanism to do so in my state), then I hate my country, I am condemning the government to fall, its leaders to be assassinated, and I am stupid. Now, who is overreacting here?

Huh? My point is, rhetoric aside, you are now the only person I have ever encountered who admits to paying. I posted the question because I believe it is a total non-issue for the vast majority.

Which is a monetary decision that makes perfect sense. I normally make the same calculation (total cost including shipping & tax) when I decide where and how to buy.
The only point (big or small) I have seen being thrashed in this thread is this nonsense about paying sales taxes uncollected by internet vendors.

I totally agree.
On 12/27/2007 1:25 PM E Meyer spake these words of knowledge:

No one is trying to tell you that you should pay it. That's up to you.
The only point I have made, and I think this is true of most of the others in this thread who have posted, is that the tax exists, and the authority to collect it exists. The states don't have the means, or in some cases the desire, to collect it, and you can almost assuredly continue to not pay sales tax on those items with impunity.
Similarly, I continue to exceed posted speed limits, because the state (and county, municipal) authorities don't have the means to enforce the law - they aren't able to stop me most of the time when I do it. But when I do, I am aware that I am breaking a law; I'm just not likely to get caught. When I make a purchase over the internet and do not pay sales tax when I submit my taxes at the end of the year, I am breaking the law; I'm just not likely to get caught.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
"The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your
problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the

Totally true, 'though I still do occasionally trip over that unexpected speed trap. I think the risk with the tax (at least until the states discover the internet for their own uses) is substantially less.

Agreed, except I think this may change sooner rather than later. It of course would likely require a change in federal law to have any teeth, since the key probably is to get internet stores to collect the tax.

The above denotes my thoughts as well, of course.
More importantly--
I pulled up to the dealership yesterday to make my incredibly savvy parts purchase. One space right in front of the showroom is available for beautiful me and my beloved crate (my 1991 Civic). Dashing young man in gleaming white shirt and nice tie (car salespeople have the nicest ties) comes out to "greet me." I smile, greet him back, and point out, "Purrs like a kitten, doesn't she?... Daggang Civic won't die... I just need a few parts." Though defeated, he laughs, nods, and strolls away. With my Honda, I ain't sharkbait.
She runs even better with the new ignition wires. :-)