Oil

Is it ok to put 5w-30 or 10w-40 in my 98 civic dx that is just over 100k?

Add pictures here
âś–

5W-30.
Don't use 10W-40. That's stupid.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
ok thanks, because some douchebag at pepboys said it was ok
Add pictures here
âś–

T'ain't.
5W-30 is your pizen.
--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
âś–
TeGGeR® wrote:

    I been puttin in dat 10W-40 in ma '92 Accord since new, and it still doin fine at 230,000 mi. bob (stupid)
Add pictures here
âś–
10-40 is fine Bob - the other guy is the stupid one here.
Manufacturers have been recommending lower viscosity oil for years, more due to regulatory concerns than engine life.
Honda now recommends 5-20 oil not to extend engine life but to garner tax credits offered under the Clean Air Act of 1991 to increase corporate fuel economy. Thinner oils increase mileage only negligibly in each vehicle but the authors of the CAA (mostly democrats lead by George Mitchell of Maine) felt this would save a lot of fuel overall. It simple did not, and credible arguments have been made since that the thinner oil actually reduces engine life.
And BTW the wonderful Clean Air Act also brought us MTBE gasoline additives which have contaminated between 2000 and 3000 municipal water systems in the country.
Clean Air Act sounded so good at the time that every politician just HAD to support that one!

Add pictures here
âś–
Tom Levigne wrote:
Thinner oils increase mileage only negligibly
    "There is a difference, but you can't measure it." Said my stat prof many years ago. bob
Add pictures here
âś–
ftdn wrote:

I believe that the factory spec is 5W-30. In the summer you could run a 10W-30 without worrying about it, but modern 5W-30s are of such good quality as to make it a non-issue.
John
Add pictures here
âś–