Oil

If one were to do their own oil change...what would be the best brand conventional motor oil and filter?

On 7/8/11 11:36 PM, thebigguy wrote:

Oil: any major brand that meets mfr's or latest oil specs Filter: OEM

Ditto.
I use Mobil 1 5W-30. I can't speak to its effectiveness relative to other brands and types, but by gosh it keeps your engine sparkly-clean inside.
--
Tegger

On 7/9/11 9:16 AM, Tegger wrote:

Yeehah! Tegger endorses my advice...

So does 3K or 4K mile oil changes using brand name conventional oil.
So, do the math.

I used to use other types of oils, primarily Castrol GTX.
After 200K of that stuff at 2.5K intervals, there was dark-brown varnish all over the place on the head.
The head gasket failed at about 200K. The machine shop cleaned the head up and gave it back to us shiny and new-looking.
After 170K with Mobil 1, the head is still shiny silver all over. Just amazing.

I did. I don't mind spending more for something I didn't get when spending less.
--
Tegger

That tells me not to use Castrol, I guess.
I did an oil analysis on my 92 Si when it hit around 110K miles of 3K oil changes; it was pristine. And you could tell that visually as well.