Oil change done with wrong grade oil - damage?

not all motor oils are OK. there are differences. i wouldn't go to the dollar store and buy whatever cheapo brand they have and think it's going to protect my engine in cold weather. if you want your engine to start knocking go ahead and use whatever generic made is cheapest. name brand oils are in competition for the best product so they are better than odd branded ones. maybe in the original posters case shell brand oil may be suitable for a honda but i would still prefer penzoil or castrol or quaker state or valvoline over it myself.

Reply to
hondaman

I agree with you in spirit but not in detail. All oils have to meet the same minimum standards, but that does not mean that all oils are of equal quality. Just ask VW about that some time :). They have published a short list of oil approved to their tests which are more strict than API standards and the engines on some VWs are highly prone to sludging if only minimal quality oils are used.

All tires sold in the US have to meet certain DOT minimum requirements, but there are massive differences in performance and longevity amoungst the various tires being offered.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Oil will not cause knocking. That is caused by gas that has too low an octane number for your engine.

Reply to
Gordon Zola

I'm not in New Brunswick, that's where you find Herring Chokers. Maybe that's your problem, looking in the wrong location .

It's been available here since before December of 2000, when I did my first oil change on my 2001 Accord. Then it was expensive (close to $5.00 a litre) since then it has come down in price. Even in April of 2001 a case of 5W20 could be purchased from the Ford dealers in town for $17.00.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Oil can cause knocking if the grade is too thin. Different knocking, like main bearings. You wont have too many problems in the USA but you will in hotter climes like on the equator maybe.

Smart people use a militiary grade oil in Australia, because most oils specified for the usa market is too thin for the local market. Reverse problem

Reply to
Jacko

Even on modern computerized engines?

J.

Reply to
JXStern

I dont think a computer can pick up mechanical knocking, though it can pick up low oil pressure ? Maybe on some...

Reply to
Jacko