Oil change frequency in months, not miles?

1998 Honda Accord, 230,000 miles.
I used to change my oil ~every 4,000 miles when I was working. Retired now and only put about 6,000 miles a year on the car. Would you stick with the
4,000 mile interval, which might mean once every 7-8 months, or do it more often because of the length of time?
Last changed in September and I've only put 3,000 miles on since then.
Thanks,
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 13:37:41 -0600, Joe J wrote:

Maybe once a year. Go by how dirty it is.
On 03/02/2012 11:37 AM, Joe J wrote:

who let the trolls out?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 3/2/2012 6:23 PM, jim beam wrote:

Looking for troll under every bush?

Don't know what your problem is. It is a legitimate question and I was looking for an answer. Piss off!
On 3/3/2012 12:06 PM, Joe J wrote:

Now you're playing with fire, Joe, as he redirects his flames from tegger to you. Brace yourself.
On 03/03/2012 12:06 PM, Joe J wrote:

"the answer" was posted only three days ago. so, you're not asking a "legitimate" question otherwise you'd have posted in the other thread.
just like you're ignoring other posters but being confrontational with me. troll.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 3/2/2012 11:37 AM, Joe J wrote:

I faced this issue myself with my '94 Accord because its Owner's Manual says something about changing oil at every 3,750 miles or 3 months under "severe" conditions, whichever happens sooner. From the way "severe" conditions are defined, practically every driving qualifies for it. So I just ignore the 3 month interval and go with the milage intervals, figuring the newer and better oils can take the longer time interval with the Honda filters. Well, if not, at least I'll have a good excuse getting a new car. The current one more than served its purpose already. But a new car would probably not be a Honda again but a Subaru.

I am not sure what is in the manual for a 1994 Accord, but more recent manuals have tried to counteract the idea that normal sorts of usage qualify as severe. The 1997 Civic Manual says:
Normal The "normal" schedule is fine for most drivers, even if they occasionally drive in severe conditions.
Severe Follow the "severe" schedule only if you drive in one or more of these conditions most of the time:
Trips of less than 5 miles (less than 10 in freezing weather) Extremely hot weather (over 90 degrees F) Extensive idling or stop-and-go driving Trailer towing, car-top carrier, or mountain driving Muddy, dusty, or de-iced roads
In the manual, "most of the time" is italicized for emphasis.
I agree the phrase "most of the time" is subject to interpertation, I believe few people actually qualify (well except if you ask at Jiffy Lube). Calling 90 degrees extremely hot is a joke, at leaat in the US, but it is the one condition in the list I come close to meeting. But even if you live in a moderately hot climate, how often do you drive when the temeprature is above 90 over the course of a three month period. Usually when I drive to work it is below 90, even on days that are truly extremely hot (>95). And when I return home, it often also below 90 on such days. So I doubt I actually qualify. I think my ex-wife qualified for the severe service schedule, at least in the Summer (she never left the house before ten, never drove very far, never used the highway and always left the car idling to keep the A/C running) but most people I know don't.
More modern Hondas use a smart maintenance indicator, so you don't have to worry about the severe schedule nonsense.
Ed

On 3/5/2012 7:53 AM, C. E. White wrote:

This is it for me. Since I retired, most of my trips are less than 5 miles, though living in the Seattle area extreme temps are not really a problem.