Oil Change w/additives? Lia Honda (Albany, NY) puts stuff in your car

Any other dealers doing this? I went in to Lia Honda in Albany, NY recently for an oil changed and was informed BG oil and fuel additives would be put in as part of the oil change.

I asked if this was specified by Honda and was told "no", but you get four months free roadside assistance...blah blah blah.

No, thank you, I said and left (yes, I could tell them not to do it, but the monkey in the booth might do it anyway).

Honda should be made aware of this.

Reply to
Nobody

Many dealers are doing that to pad their bottom line. Auto's are more reliable these days so dealer and most service shops come up with all kinds of crap services to pad the profits. In today's service environment as long as you are using correct oils and top tier gas there is no need for all these extras.

Reply to
Woody

You have their URL for their web site. I bet if you look hard enough, you can find an email so you can make them aware of this.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Woody is absolutely correct. The following is American Honda policy regarding oil additives. There are additional items in the policy statement regarding flushes, fuel injector cleaning, nitrogen in tires and others. Below is a cut and paste from their policies regarding oil change additivwes. Perhaps if you show this to your dealer he might all of a sudden remember. Just leave my name off.

September 26, 2006 Subject: Honda's Service Policies Dear Honda Dealer Principal, Honda engineers have conducted exhaustive tests to create specialized maintenance standards that support the performance and longevity of Honda vehicles. Not following these maintenance schedules-or performing services not recommended by Honda-can have adverse consequences on our vehicles or, at minimum, offer no benefit. As we head into the 2007 model year, there is no better time to review some of Honda's longstanding service policies. In the interest of maintaining Lifetime Owner Loyalty, we ask that you take immediate corrective action if your dealership is engaging in any practices that don't adhere to the following guidelines. . Do not use oil additives. As an authorized Honda dealer, you are responsible for accurately representing the information in the owner's manual. Honda owner's manuals state that engine and transmission oil additives are unnecessary. Recommending and selling oil additives creates unnecessary expenses for our customers.

Reply to
Howard

They are just dicking with you because they know you always have some kind of problem, Patrick.

Reply to
H. E. Pennypacker

"H. E. Pennypacker" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@x69g2000hsx.googlegroups.com:

Not dicking with me at all...new service manager is actually a pretty nice guy and so is the service staff overall. Took care of a non-warranty problem for me last winter for nothing.

I still don't want that crap in my car, though.

RW

Reply to
Nobody