oil cooler kit for honda cr-v

can anyone recommend a honda approved oil cooler kit for a 2009 honda cr-v ?

if such a thing does not exist, suggest a brand/type that is easy to install and performs well.

thanks

Reply to
jack

what makes you think honda are incompetent? or to put it another way, why do you think some dude that wants to sell you something knows more than honda engineers who test their stuff full loaded in july in the mojave desert?

Reply to
jim beam

On 8/6/2009 11:20 PM jim beam spake these words of knowledge:

Read what you quoted, Jim. He asked for the Honda-approved version *if it exists*. Jeebus.

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

ah, the good old "form not content" reaction. well done dave - you qualify for getting sold stuff you don't need because you don't understand high school physics and can't use google...

Reply to
jim beam

ah, the good old "form not content" reaction. well done dave - you qualify for getting sold stuff you don't need because you don't understand high school physics and can't use google...

Reply to
jim beam

Dave Kelsen wrote in news:4a7c76c2$0$4975$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

The young fellow "jack", who can be described as the "Original Poster", or the "OP", also posted the very same question independently to rec.autos.tech.

My reply, posted only to that group and not this one, pointed out these five things:

1) OP had not specified whether he wished to cool engine or transmission oil. 2) Many US-market Honda engines already come with oil coolers attached to the oil filter mounting point, and that OP should check to see if he already had one of those. 3) Automatic transmissions already come with oil coolers (OP then refuted me by bizarrely claiming that ATF is not a lubricant. I kid you not). 4) OP's local Honda dealer will have any Honda-approved devices he should desire, and OP should telephone them or visit them in person with his query. 5) It is unwise to yourself perform an alteration of the factory configuration of a very much *still-warranteed* 2009 vehicle.

Nobody in this Honda group thought of any of those points, did they?

Reply to
Tegger

On 8/7/2009 7:31 PM Tegger spake these words of knowledge:

Good point, Tegger, and as beam said, I wasn't trying to reply to the OP, because I don't have any answers. I do recall needing an ATF cooler on my Odyssey, and one being recommended by Honda for my '03 Accord IF towing was a regular feature.

I don't know that 4) above is correct; I would think that Honda *might* have the/an approved device, and it would certainly be a good place to ask, although we have all seen instances where the dealer didn't have a clue.

I believe that 5) above would be irrelevant IF the device was Honda-recommended, as the OP was requesting, although perhaps not, if the shop doesn't do the installation.

Hope all is well with you in the great white north; with many ISPs dropping usenet, this place has become kinda dusty!

RFT!!! Dave Kelsen

Reply to
Dave Kelsen

Actually, he did also ask for non OEM options as well....

"if such a thing does not exist, suggest a brand/type that is easy to install and performs well."

Maybe he wants to add his own tow package?

Reply to
Stewart

The provider I am using offers free access. Decent speed, a lot of newsgroups, though it is text only, so binary guys won't be thrilled with it.

Stewart

i don't understand this obsession with after-market oil coolers for towing. it makes as much sense as the ridiculous notion we have about using oversized vehicles for towing. if anyone has ever been to europe and seen the honking great trailers being towed by family sedans and hatchbacks, no oil coolers, we all might get a little better perspective than being suckered by people trying to sell stuff we don't need and that introduce a potential failure point into an otherwise tested and reliable system.

Reply to
jim beam