oil in the radiator fluid

I have a 1999 Honda Civic CX Hatchback. My car has over 200,000 miles on it and I haven't really had a problem with my vehicle until now. Just before this past summer, my car started overheating. I checked the hoses and changed the thermostat. This worked for a bit and then my car starting over heating again. Then I was told that perhaps the water-pump had gone out. So I took my car into a Honda dealership and they told me that the I have a crack in my head gasket. That is why oil is in the radiator fluid. My car is still overheating, so I drive with the heater on full blast. Its working at keeping the temperature down, but there is still no circulation in the engine. Is there a correlation between the crack in the head gasket and the water pump not working?

Please help.

Thank you

Reply to
aburningenergy

no. fix the head gasket. betcha the pump works just fine.

Reply to
jim beam

Yes, the head gasket is the likely culprit. However, on a car with that many miles it would be a mistake not to replace the water pump unless the mechanic had knowledge that it had been done within a reasonable period of time. A "normal" interval is to replace the water pump when the timing belt is done which is every 90K miles or 6 years.

Eric

Reply to
Eric