Oil Pan Cracked at Plug - thoughts?

I took my 96 Accord to a big box place for an oil change. Afterward, on an extended trip, I noticed an oil leak and took it to a local mechanic to have it inspected. He showed me that there is a significant crack just beneath the drain plug running in a straight line and ending in a place where the metal is bent into the pan. Looking at it from the inside, it is plain that the crack runs along the triangular reinforcement plate, then out about half an inch.

The big box guys said that the leak was caused by a stripped oil plug, but the threads are perfect. Then they said 'the Incredible Hulk couldn't overtighten this plug without it stripping before the pan cracked'. Every other mechanic I've looked at has said it is a plain case of overtightening, but I want to confirm that this isn't some widespread or known problem. Any thoughts?

Reply to
steamin'

is this an aluminum pan or steel? impact/jack damage? rust? regardless, it needs to be replaced.

Reply to
jim beam

The pad needs to be removed and replaced, or possibly repaired if you have access to someone talented with a TIG aluminum welder.

For **** sake, stay away from quick lube and big box oil change places. Spend an extra $10 or so to have a real mechanic do your routine work.

Good luck getting Mr. Big Box to pay for fixing the problem!

John

Reply to
John Horner

Steel pan, no rust, no dents. I had it replaced, but am trying to get the big boxers to reimburse me for the cost.

Reply to
steamin'

Find an expert, go to small claims court.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

It will cost more to do this than the cost of the pan. Just get over it and find a decent mechanic.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS