Oil Pan With Bad Threading

I just got an oil change on Sept 14, 2007, at 186,041 miles.

When the oil change place (not dealer) unscrewed the oil plug and tried to rescrew it upon putting in the new oil, they said that they had trouble reattaching the plug. They said that it was due to the threading in the oil pan that hugs the plug is screwed up.

I've noticed slight oil leaks as a result of this. With all this being said, I will have to get a new oil pan with new gasket, etc. Can I go aftermarket on this?

-- Message posted using

information at

warlock162

Sure, aftermarket parts will work.

However, I would say the chances are that they screwed this up at the shop by over torquing the drain bolt. I would raise hell and tell them to fix it.

If you decide to do the repair yourself, another option is to use a larger diameter drain bolt. Use the appropriate tap to set the threads properly. Should solve your problem.

warlock162 wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

"warlock162" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Very common Honda problem. Is due to ham-fisted mechanics overtorquing the drain bolt.

The factory-authorized fix involves the installation of a TimeSert thread repair kit (NOT a "Helicoil"!!!).

If the TimeSert is unsuccessful, a new oil pan is indicated. You do not give year or model, but this is the kind of thing that often falls under the "unofficial" extended warranty, provided oil changes have been done by Honda/Acura dealers...

Reply to
Tegger

innews: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

Or use a Fumoto valve. I have one in my older Civic; no issues whatsoever.

Reply to
gigelus2k3

WOW, Been there, done that TWICE. Jiffy Lube killed my pan on my 1988 Accord and I bitched enough that they reimbursed me for a dealer installed replacement. That was the LAST time I stepped foot in a Jiffy Lube.

My second pan was ruined by MY DEALER!! Kudos to them however for owning up to it after I complained and replacing it at their cost.

Simple solution, new crushable aluminum washer with EACH oil change and TORQUE the freakin' thing. Places just don't get it.

Reply to
Matthew

"Matthew" wrote in news:Mg%Hi.334$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

Mine was ruined by the dealers as well. They paid for a new pan after the TimeSert thread fix came loose.

I've even found you can short the torque a couple of pounds with no ill effects. My manual calls for 33 ft lbs, I use 31, just in case the wrench tolerance is a bit on the high side.

Reply to
Tegger