Oil seems dirty right after a change

Hi there,

I recently started doing oil changes myself on my 91 Honda Accord. I have noticed that each time I change the oil, it is dark and dirty right afterwards. I checked it again after running the car for 2 hours, it seemed lighter now, but not fully clean. Does this make sense? Is there anything I can do as a home beginner mechanic to fix this problem? I change Oil Filters every second change.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy Marten Victoria, BC

Reply to
Jeremy Marten

How often do you change the oil? If you let it go too long the insides of the engine will be dirty along with a small amount of oil that always stays behind when you drain. This could contaminate the new oil making it look black. Maybe you could change it again after a day or so of use along with a new filter to flush it right out.

Reply to
Big Al

Have you ever changed the PCV valve on this car? It bleeds off gases of combustion that accumulate in the crankcase (where the oil is) and routes them to the intake manifold, ultimately for "recycling," so to speak.

A few years ago I found my 1991 Civic's PCV valve chock full of waxy buildup. My gas mileage was poor then, too. Replacing it greatly improved gas mileage and may have helped the oil, too.

I think I'd consider changing the filter every oil change, particularly for Canadian driving.

"Jeremy Marten" wrote

Accord. I

and dirty right

2 hours, it