oily spark plugs

Page 1 of 2
I checked my spark plugs today. They look ok except for oil all over two of them. Not on the top where the spark is, but on the treads. The two with oil on them also have a brown stain on the bottom of the ceramic
area(spark side). And the print that says "NGK R" is faded on only those two plugs. Does anybody know what would cause all this oil? It is not leaking from the top of the Valve Cover (O gaskets).
Also both front struts are leaking at the top inside the engine conpartment. Does this mean they need replacing?
Thank for any help.
Doug

Are you certain? That's the most common source of the leak.
Is the engine using oil?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
"TeGGeR" wrote:

True, however, there are usually o-rings between the cam towers and the head and these can also leak oil into the spark plug tubes. I needed to replace these on my '88 Civic. They weren't too difficult but it's not a project for beginners.
Eric

Eric, The same thing happened on my 1993 accord about 4 years ago. I had to pay about $300.00 to have a mechanic repair the problem. The cost would probably much higher today. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jason) wrote in wrote:>>

That, unfortunately, tells us absolutely NOTHING. Could you tell us what specifically it was that the mechanic spent $300 of your money doing?
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

replace
Eric,
Can you outline what has to be removed to get to these gaskets? Should I use some sort of modified, manual procedure for removing the camshaft? Also, I am not quite clear on what the "cam tower" is, even after looking at the drawings.
It seems to me these (failed, lower gaskets) are more than likely why I am getting oil in my 91 Civic's spark plug tubes, as well.
I replaced the camshaft seal (and crankshaft seal, which included taking off the timing belt) last year, so I have that experience under my belt.
Elle wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by the above statement.

If you have to ask, then ...

Well, if you really want to bite into this project, then you can follow the procedures in the factory service manual. If you don't have one specific for your car, then you can get one from http://www.helminc.com . If you don't have one and don't wish to invest in what I consider to be a basic tool for servicing your car, then you can follow some of the procedures outlined for other models available from http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/workshopmanuals2.html . The manual for the '95-'97 Civic is pretty close. Here's the page for removal http://tinyurl.com/cccll and here's the page for installation http://tinyurl.com/cvwjg . Some additional notes: the removal page does not describe it well but when it indicates to loosen the valve adjusting screws I've found it best to loosen them to the point where the bottom of the adjusting screw is flush with the bottom of the rocker arm, furthermore, on installation ignore the information about the oil control orifice. On the '91 Civic this orifice is in the block between the block and cylinder head. Lastly, if you're willing to jump through the necessary hoops (you must register and provide a valid email address), then http://www.hondahookup.com/manuals/ has a manual available listed as being for an '88-'90 Civic. I haven't used this manual so I know nothing about the quality of the information it it.
Eric

not
I meant should I go to a 91 Honda Civic manual and look up the procedure for removing the camshaft, rocker arms, etc., then come up with some steps of my own for getting at these seals.
Which is exactly what you ended up advising in your "response."

looking
I checked Majestic's online parts site. I checked my 91 Civic's Chilton's manual. I did not find a "cam tower" listed in either. Nor do I see it listed in the pdf file url below from the UK site.
I know what a cam is. I know what a camshaft is. I suppose a "cam tower" is the whole assembly or its supports.
But please don't trouble yourself in answering a question from someone honest, trying to learn. That's not the purpose of newsgroups.

Corrupted; doesn't work.

I have a 91 Civic Chilton's manual (which I use a lot and duplicates much of Helm) that covers camshaft/rocker arms etc. removal and installation.
Thanks, and I promise to be a better teacher than you.
wrote>

I have the Helm manual for the '92-'95 Civic.
As near as I can tell, the D15B's camshaft is central to (and under) two rocker arms, which are held by castings bolted to the head. Honda calls these castings "cam holders". The rocker arms pass through these cam holders. These are the parts Eric is calling the "cam towers". They're held in place by three 8mm bolts.
The cam's holders have large holes in them at one end that the spark plugs pass through on their way to their threads in the head. Since the cam holders are bolted to the head, there is necessarily a seam where they meet, and thus the gasket in question.
There are six "cam holders". The middle four have the spark plug holes.
If you remove the bolts on all the cam holders, you will also release the rocker arms themselves. Essentially, to replace the gaskets under the cam holders, you need to unbolt and remove the cam holders. I can't tell from here, but it looks like you'd end up releasing the camshaft as well.
I've taken the liberty of extracting one page from my manual: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/civic_92-95_d15b8_rocker_arm_parts.pdf
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
"TeGGeR" wrote:

Yes, the trick is to not remove the bolts, just undo them. Afterwards, remove the assembly complete with the bolts in place. The bolts will hold it together so that you don't wind up having to deal with individual rocker arms, shafts, and springs.
Eric
Thanks for the intelligent explanation. It's making a lot more sense now, as follows:
The step-by-step 1991 Civic Chilton and Autozone written instructions call these "camshaft holders" but on the 1991 Civic drawing, they are called "bearing caps." They look exactly the same in the two drawings (the 1992's and the 1991's) but just use two different names, for some reason.
There are six "camshaft holders/bearing caps" altogether, with according to Majestic and like you say, three 8 mm bolts for the four middle "camshaft holders" (or "bearing caps"), and two bolts each for the end ones. I couldn't actually find the camshaft holders/bearing caps listed at Majestic's site, though I'm pretty sure a drawing of them appears under "cylinder head."
The instructions for removing the rocker arms/shafts likewise say to keep the "rocker arm bolts" in place to hold the assembly together.
Obviously once I get under the valve cover more of this will make sense, but I wanted to be prepared. I haven't messed much with things under there, apart from putting in the new camshaft seal yada last year and checking the valve lash once also about a year ago.
Thanks again. I hope to start on this before the end of the month and may post an update. I am pretty certain these lower spark plug tube gaskets are why a oil is accumulating in two or three of my 1991 Civic's spark plug tubes. It's not more than a tablespoon every six months, it seems, but I don't like it, and I want to keep the car... you know, "another five years."

held

Another thing to keep in mind: Camshaft distortion.
If undoing the "cam holders" ends up releasing the camshaft as well, you'll have to be careful to undo the bolts evenly all around, to prevent uneven loading on the camshaft, which may bend it. Those valve springs are awfully strong.
Good luck.
As an aside, I notice the D15Z engine uses Toyota-like tubes set into the head for the spark plug wells, which would eliminate the problem the D15B has.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

you'll
awfully
Okay. Given the subsequent installation torquing sequence for the "cam holders/bearing caps," I can see what you're gettin at.

Thanks.
For the 96-2000 Civics (which appear to use a D15Z engine), Majestic online parts site indeed does not show these gaskets (between cam holder and cylinder head). The tubes extend much further, so to speak, as you know but for the record.

Oops. That should be "camSHAFT holders/bearing caps."
In case some newbie is reading the archives a few years from now...
wrote

It worked for me and brought up http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/CivicManual/pdf/6-36.pdf
Mike

Huh. Still doesn't work here at my computer.
No matter. Autozone's free repair guides and my Chilton's have it for my 91 Civic.
Thanks.
Elle wrote:

It works on my computer using Mozilla 1.7.11 and Acrobat 4.

How do you there's no leaking from the spark plug tube gaskets?
When was the last time these were replaced? And did you use OEM?
Could you also post your model of Honda, year, and miles on it? This is often helpful to those trying to help the original poster, and also is good info for the archives.
I have a 1991 Civic and a couple of my plugs are getting oil on the thread end (like you describe), but I think it's because I used non-OEM spark plug tube gaskets a year or so ago.

You can google on that one, or of course keep checking back. I have only limited experience on this. I'd replace them.
Colisto wrote:

which two? the inner ones? have you checked the valve lash? do you have clean injectors?

yes.
jim beam wrote:

When looking at the engine from the front, the one on the far right is the most oily. And the other one is the second from the left. I know its not leaking from the valve cover gasket because I can feel around with my finger and the top area is dry as a bone.
My car is a 95 Civic Hatchback. With 353000kms or 218000mi on it.
The engine is not lose any oil at all. The only thing thats ever been replaced in that area are the plugs and the valve cover gasket(which is not leaking) since I've had the car(purchased at 288000kms, 177000mi). I do not know the condition of the injectors. Never serviced them. Plugs were not oily at the tip where the gap is.
Thanks