OK, ladies and gentlemen, put on your Thinking Caps...

Page 1 of 3
And come up with a Cheap-Ass alarm.
On the Mazda, I don't want to go to the trouble or expense of installing a real alarm, but I want something.
Honking the horn and flashing the flashers would be good enough. I want
the horn to 'beep', so a flasher unit and a relay or two would be good.
There's two ways to set the thing up:
Put something like a key switch under the fender, turn on when leaving, turn off when using the car.
Or, a little more sophisticaed: put a switch inside the car. Now, this would mean triggering the 'alarm' when getting into the car, something I don't want to do at 1 AM when I'm leaving on my 'paper route'. So, some kind of delay would be good. I was thinking a capacitor between the hot line and the 1st relay, so the cap charges and when it reaches charged it triggers the relay and starts the flasher.
But, I need a hint what size cap to use, and how to wire it into the relay so that it charges before setting off the horn, maybe 20 seconds is good.
Of course, we could get REAL sophisticated and use the ol' venerable 555 timer, but that's more involved than I want to make it.
Any ideas?
a viper.. not the car alarm, but a real life viper...

OR...the system portrayed in the opening scenes of Robocop II.
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 18:51:56 -0700, witfal wrote:

Believe it or not, this was EXACTLY what I was watching back in 1991 on HBO when my Hachiroku got stolen the first time...

Too bad it wasn't an option.

I agree. Car alarms are basically ineffective, because they false constantly and so they get ignored. Even if _your_ alarm is perfect, if it goes off in the supermarket parking lot nobody will even bother to look at the car, because they are all so used to false alarms all the time.
BUT, a thirty-foot anaconda will definitely be a theft-stopping wonder, if not deterring any theft attempts in the first place. Everybody should have them. You could sell them with the slogan "Get your Honda An Anaconda." If you use that slogan, though, I want royalties. --scott

Why not buy those battery operated blinking LEDs that pretend to be a viper on standby. Putting a switch under the fender may have some drawbacks during winter season. I am thinking you do not like those metal bars you put on the steering wheel and brake pedals.
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 02:26:37 -0000

Well, they're neat looking and all, but take all of about 30 seconds to defeat.
If someone knows what they are doing, and really wants your car, they will have it. It might make more sense to leave the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition. That way, the kids joyriding won't bust a window and your steering column to go for a ride, and they might even think enough of you to not torch the car when they are done...
--
Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in wrote:

You couldn't handle a "30 ft" anaconda. Plus it would pee in your car,and STINK it up.

I had an alarm in my 94 Integra,and Jun 29,at 3:40AM,it went off,I immediately looked out my window,and they were already rolling my car away.I jumped into my shorts,grabbed my gun bag and ran out,and the car was already out the gate and well down the road,alarm blaring.(a gated community!) All this in less than a minute.
It had a starter disable,that's why they pushstarted it. I had a fuel cutoff relay I was going to install with a hidden magnetic switch,but didn't have a chance to do it. The car was 'recovered' 3 days later,two counties way,stripped and burned,a total loss.
Hondas are really easy to steal,up until they began using immobilizer keys and coding the ECU to the keys.
you need to immobilize the car so they can't drive it off;meaning a fuel cutoff or removal of a critical part like the ECU,and the alarm is just to tell you they have gotten INTO the car and may be removing your stereo,air bags,seats,or other parts. Then you need a GUN to safely 'detain' them until police arrive,which can be a long wait.In some states it's legal to shoot the thieves,especially if they move towards you.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

A friend and fellow writer I once knew had a reticulated python that was bigger than she was. One time I dropped by her house to drop off a document we were working on and the python met me at the door. At least its head did. Its tail was in the dining room. I have no idea how long it was, but I often wondered how my fellow writer handled the snake.
Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher Freelance science writer

Here in Florida,dumb people get pythons,and when they get too big,they release them outdoors,peoples pets begin disappearing,and they grow even bigger,and then animal control or the police end up having to capture them;they get bit,nearly strangled,and it takes at least 3 people to wrangle one of them. Even their owners get bit or hurt when handling them. Reptiles do NOT make good pets.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

If you do shoot them, though, make sure they are dead. The investigation goes much quicker when there is only one side to the story. And having a decent sized folding knife to put in their hands once they are down couldn't hurt, either...
Even the new Hondas can be stolen, by a pro, without much problem. But it does take a little longer now, and the kiddies can't do it...
--
Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

On 17 Aug 2007 22:20:25 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Plus, it will take care of any mice that get inside.
dgk wrote:

Newfies note: this is NOT a cure for squeaks.
--
"You know the difference between cannibals and liberals?
Cannibals only eat their enemies."
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 00:46:12 -0500, clifto wrote:

Newfies, eh? Where are YOU at? ;)
Hachiroku ???? wrote:

At a safe distance, eh?
--
Tiger Direct forcibly checking receipts?
http://tinyurl.com/2hz3ht
On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 16:27:42 -0500, clifto wrote:

LOL! I'm actually from Mass, but I spent a lot of time in the Toronto area back in the 80's. Love the place.
For some reason, the 'eh?' stuck...
Hachiroku ???? wrote:

I listen to their AM 740 every night at bedtime.
--
Tiger Direct forcibly checking receipts?
http://tinyurl.com/2hz3ht
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Youse meenz da joint doodookakakus usta run?
<G>
JT
On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 16:28:32 +0000, Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

dat be da place!
now, diz romney homey runnin' for prez. I say, go da other way...