OK, ladies and gentlemen, put on your Thinking Caps...

Page 2 of 3
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

One of the reasons I left. (I used to live in RI).
Biggest complaint: Idiotic handgun policies for law abiding citizens.
Biggest hassle: High taxes and auto insurance rates
Biggest disappointment: Them thar' politicos keep on makin' the same mistakes and the dumb public keep on electin' 'em!
Oh, and don't forget the copious amount of salt/chemicals used to de-ice the roads and eat away on our cars. Which brings us to COLD winters that are far too long.
Other than that, it's beautiful country...
JT
(It might be hot in the summer in TX, but that's why gawd invented A/C)
On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:08:43 +0000, Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

I can't take the heat, but the salt here sure has chewed up a lot of nice cars I have owned...

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 01:36:47 GMT,
wrote:

**Trunk monkey and a Louisville Slugger.
kaboomie
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 02:30:28 +0000, kaboom wrote:

Ah, yes. The trunk monkey!!!
Too high maintenance, though. Can they be litter box trained?
http://www.trunkmonkey.com /
Hachiroku wrote:

A 555 circuit is sophisticated???
You can buy time delay relays on the surplus market, but driving a regular relay directly from a capacitor takes a huge capacitor because the load resistance is so low, and time delay is proportional to R x C. I'd use a 555 or quad comparator (339?) for everything, and you should be able to make it activate automatically when you shut off the key. In Nogales, USA, vehicle fleet owners favor hidden kill switches to stop thieves from Nogales, Mexico.
Have you checked www.epanorama.net? Lots of electronics links there.
On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:40:19 -0700, larry moe 'n curly wrote:

Yup. I did this after I posted this post:
http://home.maine.rr.com/randylinscott/jan20.htm
You know, I worked in Andover MA 27 years ago, in a building shared with Raytheon. A lot of cars there, and there was a rash of burglaries in the parking lot.
A guy I worked with who was really smart came up with a circuit very, very similar to this one. I installed it in my '80 Corolla, took an end connector from one of the units I was working on, put a key switch in it, and a plastic cap and mounted it in the fender well. It worked quite well.
That's why I had asked about a 555 CKT.
"Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B" wrote:

How about a Doberman? A friend of mine finds no need to even lock his van when his Doberman is in it. It won't even let me into the van without him there even though it knows that I'm ok. Nobody gets into the van unless they have either a bullet or a tranquilizer dart.
Eric
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 00:45:45 -0700, Eric wrote:

I have a friend that has a pitbull/Akita mix, but he won't give her up...

can't leave them in there on a hot day.
Best Buy;about $200 gets you an alarm,installed.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Eric wrote:

Our family had Dobermans for years and they are easily bribed by food (as is just about any dawg). In fact, the last one (I swear) would point to the loot...
JT
On 2007-08-18 09:38:41 -0700, Grumpy AuContraire

But most people don't know that, or won't take a chance.
I have a Boxer. He sounds real tough when someone knocks on the door, and goes nuts when they ring the doorbell. But let someone in, and it's, "Give me a biscuit, and I'll show you the safe."
That said, those who don't know him are very intimidated on the other side of the door. Power perceived is power achieved.
witfal wrote:

Had it not been for my aversion to sticking ANYTHING on my Corvette, I always kinda wanted that bumper sticker "The keys to my car are on the front seat, next to my Rottweiler"
My Rotties always were partial to riding in the car. Last one I had could get into the back seat of the LeBaron convertible without opening the door or touching the side. One leap and he was there. Leave him out in the parking lot sitting in it with the top down. He'd smile at folks and they wouldn't come near or even park by my car.<g>
He was a lover, not a fighter, but at 110 lbs nobody knew for sure.
On 2007-08-18 13:23:48 -0700, Unquestionably Confused

Or wants to.
We used to own three Mastiffs. The male topped 217 pounds.
They were as gentle as kittens, but were given a wide berth when we walked them.

Many dogs were "gentle as kittens",up to the day they attacked small children or adults and killed them. Even family members. There's no telling what will set off a dog. It could be a innocent movement,a smell you have on you,a noise you make.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That's just plain bullshit. Not only have I been around dogs in the family my whole life, but also volunteered at a local SPCA. In the two years there, along with the rest of my life, I have never come across a dog that was "gentle as a kitten" until they "snapped". Attacks come from one of two conditions: Either a provoked animal (even the tamest dog will revert to self defense when threatened enough) or an abused animal (think pit bulls, trained for fighting, or a Golden that is beaten daily).
Owner negligence is often the root cause. If a dog hops a fence and bites a kid, the owner is negligent. The fence was insufficient to keep the animal in.
Even the "fighting breeds" are quite capable of being very tame, lovable animals. Some of the nicest dogs I have been around were Pits and Rotts. They were from clean stock (not bred from attack or fighting parents) and brought up in loving homes.
Dogs generally look at people as higher than them in the social order, and make every effort to please.
Cats, on the other hand, do not like you, and are waiting for you to die so they can eat your eyeballs... ;-)
--
Joe - Registered Linux User #449481

Smoke with the windows up so the inside stinks to high heaven. Oops, you do that now don't you!

An engine disabler is what you need. Alarms just disturb others.
Hachiroku wrote:
And come up with a Cheap-Ass alarm. I don't want the expense of installing a real alarm, but I want something. _______________________________________________
"Josh S" wrote:
You need an engine disabler. Alarms just disturb others. _______________________________________________
You could install an engine enabler. Insert a normally open pushbutton switch in the line from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid. Mount the new switch in some inconspicuous place such as under the dash.
You will have to press the pushbutton while turning the key to the start position to start the car. Unless a car thief knows about the pushbutton, he can't start the car by breaking the key lock. He can't even start the car if you leave the keys in the ignition.
Good luck.
Rodan.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:00:02 +0000, Rodan wrote:

Like I said in another post, I don't think they're after cars, they're after wallets, electronics, etc. They've been into almost 100 cars in the last three months.
I want to hear it so I can have them meet my Louisville Slugger...