OK, ladies and gentlemen, put on your Thinking Caps...

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 07:36:04 +0000, Josh S wrote:

They didn't try to steal the car, they took my XM receiver.
I want something that makes noise, but doesn't trigger falsely.
So I can run out with my baseball bat...

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:59:43 -0700, Michael Pardee wrote:

Oh, yeah! I know that!
If these guys have guns, they're even dumber than I thought...
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Considering the low incidence of Mensa members, National Merit Scholars, and successful, moderately bright folks who earn enough money to buy what they desire rather than steal it from parked cars, I would hold that thought if I were you!<g>
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:44:45 -0500, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

If they have guns for petty larceny, they're toast. We have tough gun laws here, and they'll go up a long time.
Hope the few hundred dollars they boost is worth the time. They've already busted into the next door neighbor of a State Cop...he only parks his cruiser outside his house 3-4 times a week...
Hmmm....what were you saying about a dearth of Mensa members...? ;)

there might even be more than one auto burglar,and it's not hard to take away a baseball bat.

Get a baby monitor,the digital ones have the best range. Then you can listen in on your car,effectively a silent alarm. If they break a window or open the door,you will hear it,and they will have no indication of an alarm.(they are not "cheap",though)
Make an adapter to allow it to run off the 12V auto cig lighter.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Isn't putting an alarm on a Mazda more like bringing a bazooka to a shoving match? :-)
Sorry, couldn't resist the temptation.
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:37:18 -0500, Steve wrote:

It ain't the car I'm worried about...it was $150 (but it is a NICE car!)
I'm more worried about the JVC MP3 player and my *new* XM Receiver!
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Install a "trip" wire and run it up to your bedroom and tie the other end to your big toe. Keep the Glock handy, it will be a lot more effective than a crappy ol' bat...
JT
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 04:01:42 +0000, Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Hey! I like how this guy thinks!
Where's Scott?
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

I fondly remember back in the 1960's when my roomate bought a Honda 90 and was worried that someone might steal it. He actually did that for a couple of nights though there was no Glock available. (Provided service revolvers were locked away to prevent mischief). Quite a feat considering that we lived on the third floor of a high rise...
JT
(Yep, the ol' Army days in DC)

All I've read so far are questions about how the car owner would switch an unidentified alarm system off and on. Since you are not buying an off-the-shelf alarm what kind of alarm system are you proposing. And more importantly how will the alarm be triggered by a potential intruder.

John S. wrote:

The scr will switch the horn relay to ground. Door opens, light switch fires SCR, horn blows until someone turns off the hidden (under dashboard or seat) switch, which breaks the circuit to SCR. You could use a capacitor to give you a few seconds to leave or enter the car. After thinking about it, you may have to use a transistor to invert the signal from the door switch. You could set up your delay with the capacitor, resistor, to wait 10 or so seconds before firing the transistor, which would then set the scr. Back in the 70's when the price of gas was rocketing, people stealing gas from your car at night became a common occurance. I thought about attaching a small magnetic reed switch to the gas cap cover that would do the same thing. Just never got around to doing it. One guy I know wired a 120 volt hot wire to the frame of his car. I wouldnt recommend doing this though, it could kill someone and give you a manslaughter charge. (I know, it shouldnt be against the law to kill a thief, but it is.)
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 01:05:54 -0500, Skenny wrote:

Because this would blow the horn when *I* open the door. I leave at 1AM. But I don't want a delay. A key switch with a cover outside would solve this.

I like the way your friend thinks. Who cares if the theif gets fried?
Guess they must have shorted the battery somehow, officer!
On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:24:26 -0700, John S. wrote:

All I want is something that will blow the horn, and maybe flash the lights.
In it's simplest form, a switch mounted somewhere outside the car that turns the system 'on' by providing a ground path for a relay. When someone opens a door, the relay closes, current is passed to a flasher (like for your turn signals) and then to the horn and headlight relays. Very simple.
Also, this is instantaneous. As soon as they open the door, the horn starts. There is an 'always on' current source (courtesy lights) that do not turn off when the dome light is turned off, so I intend to use this for the 'trigger'.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

You know you could give away your secret device. For instance, from this conversation thus far, if I were a crook, I would know to look under the fender of your car for a keyswitch. Then take a sharp chisel and hammer and shear the switch off, then cut the wires to the switch, then get on with business as usual. Sometimes the best intrusion device is to catch the crook offguard. I kinda like the string tied to the toe suggestion. Ive heard it works for napping while fishing too.
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:49:00 -0500, Skenny wrote:

Basically, wanted to see if it was feasible. (If anyone would say, "I wouldn't do that if I were you...").
I was an elec. tech for 19 years, and a geek for the past 15. I know my way around a ckt or two... ;)
As far as giving away a 'secret', if these guys even know what Usenet is, I'd be surprised.
Either that, or they'd post a message like, "This is a great site!" ;)