Old problem fixed, new problem took its place

Through reading the posts in this group, I was able to determine that I had a problem with my CV joint, and had to replace both axles on my

92 Accord. A certified Honda mechanic verified that both axles should be replaces, and that this was better than just replacing the joints. I took it to a mechanic that my father-in-law recommended, and he replaced both axles for a very good price. So no more clicking sound when I turn, but this has been replaced with a new noise. When I picked up the car, I took it for a test drive, and there was a squealing sound when I accelerated while turning. The sqealing sounded like metal-on-metal. But the car also made the sound while accelerating straight ahead. The mechanic said it could be a clutch problem, and that it could have been there behind the axle click noise, but I heard that click for about a year, and I would have heard a squeal like this. He said to listen to it for a while, and if I wanted, he would remove and re-install the axles again. I'm convinced the sound is coming from something he did or didn't do when replacing the axles, but he said it wasn't.

Well, that was 4 days ago, and the squeal is gone, but now there is a knocking that I can feel through the gas pedal when I'm accelerating in low gear. It only happens when I'm in 1st and second gear, and the knocking/rumbling sound gets more intense the harder I push down the pedal. Once I get going, the sound is gone, so that seems to rule out an engine problem.

I've read similar posts, and everything from heat shield to the ABS has been mentioned. I have ABS, so I'm wondering if this was the cause. Anybody know what the deal is? Thanks.

Seabass

Reply to
Seabass007

I listened to it some more, and now I've noticed that it happens in all gears, only when I press the gas, but not every time I press the gas. The sound is similar to when I make right turns, and then is a definite thumping sound. The mechanic said a wheel bearing could need replacing. Could this be the cause?

Reply to
Seabass007

ABS only makes noise when you're using the brakes. It sounds more like a motor mount. The motor 'tilts' a bit when giving it the gas. If the mount is shot it will make noises through the chassis.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

amotormount. Themotor'tilts' a bit when giving it the gas. If themountis shot it will make noises through the chassis.

Thanks Curly. I read up a bit on motor mounts, and it seems like it could be that. I did find that somebody had the exact same problem that I had. After listening to the problem some more, I've noticed that if I take a a right turn and can do so without stopping, I can accelerate without the noise being there. But if I have to make a right turn from a stop, and the noise will usually be there. They guy who had the same problem said that there was play in the axle, which caused this vibration, and this seems the most likely because less than a week ago I took in the car to get the axles replaced.l I bought two remanufactured axles from Autozone because the local NAPA didn't have any. Does anyone know if this is a problem with the axle installation or the axle itself? Thanks.

Reply to
Seabass007