One Car for 4 Licensed Drivers

In my family, we have one car for 4 licensed drivers. We brought up our children cycling, and now that they're older (one is a Junior in High School and the other is a Freshman in college), they have continued the good habit. I commute by bicycle to work year round, regardless of weather, unless the roads are treacherous. My commute is 8 miles.

Nowadays, if I lived in a large city with mass transit, I would combine mass transit with a nice folding bicycle. Jim Gagnepain

oilfreeandhappy

------------------------------------

I can tell it's Psychic Wednesday.

Are we supposed to guess why four licensed drivers can't get the Honda to start? :-)

One clue (oilfreeandhappy) tells me you should check the oil level first. :-(

Stay safe, Jim.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

Actually, the last car that I personally owned, about 20 years ago, was a Honda Civic. Good little car, but I prefer my bicycle now. It's a win-win - good exercise, oil-free, fresh air...

Reply to
oil_free_and_happy

"oilfreeandhappy" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

+--------------------------------------+ \ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 / \ 1 9 / / \ 0 / 10 / \ SMUG-O-METER / / \ / / \ / / \___ _________________/____/ \ / \....................../
Reply to
TeGGeR®

It's time to buy more vehicles, if you are experiencing scheduling problems.

That's great, but now that they have to be places quickly it's an outdated method of travel, ineffecient for today's travel requirements.

You're one of the hazards on the roads if you ride during bad weather.

Why would you need a folding bicycle? Buses have racks on the front of them for carrying bicycles of those that want to appear as if they rode the bicycle to work. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

i congratulate you on your commitment to the environment. if more people practiced similar lifestyles, then we might not find it necessary to fight wars over oil. however, i have yet to see a bicycle that does not use rubber, grease, and plastic. indeed, they will quickly grind to a halt without oil of some type.

Reply to
manic mechanic

by the way, your page would load a heck of a lot faster if you resized the image of the backpack to the size the web page uses rather than depend on the browser to resize it... i was able to get it down to just 27 KB and still have it look fine.

Reply to
manic mechanic

HUH? Ok here goes my random babbling:

In my family we have three coffee drinkers. When the kids were younger I was the only one but they started as they got older (one is a Junior in HS and one is just out of college). I pick up a cup of coffee on my way home and drink it with a straw because the roads have many potholes in them and don't like to get coffee on my clothes. My commute is 7 miles.

If I lived in a large city with mass transit, I might bring a thermos with me so I can refill my cup while commuting. Remco

(I always wanted to get that off my chest and since we're telling random stories, this seemed like a good time to do it :)

Reply to
Remco

... I had an onion on my belt, 'cause that was the fashion at the time... Grandpa Simpson

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Remco" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

If governments weren't obsessed with outlawing private companies from offering mass transit, and weren't so obsessed with legislating transit monopolies for themselves, we might see more mass transit so you wouldn't spill your drink.

A couple of years ago we had an example of this bizarre government mindset at work in my community. As a result, we still have no mass transit of any kind.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

See?? Dont' you guys feel better getting this random rambling off your chest?

As for the guy that started the thread: get a haircut, you stinkfoot hippy!! :)

Reply to
Remco

I don't buy that argument. Where I came from (Chicago 'burbs), the local private mass transportation companies all died natural deaths in the '70s when everybody started driving themselves. Ridership went down below profitable levels and that was it.

The regional government transit monopolies that we saw (and continue to see in many places) were started because the numbers didn't add up and the citizens demanded busses anyway, not because of some insidious government plot. When no one rode those busses either, mass transit simply went away in the smaller towns.

I think if you could demonstrate a viable business model for mass transit, you would have some.

Reply to
E Meyer

fresh air?? Yeah right, you get to suck in all the wonderfully "fresh" fumes that our cars put out...enjoy!

Reply to
James

Profound statement, Remco. I'll leave it at that, and refrain from any other reply. Jim Gagnepain

oil_free_and_happy

For a short part of my commute, this is the case. But much of my ride is on rural roads, with not much traffic. BTW, studies have shown that cars get more exposure to road fumes than bicycles, because the bicycles aren't in the center of the road. Jim Gagnepain

fumes that our cars put out...enjoy!

Reply to
oil_free_and_happy

I'd call this quibbling. I ran some calculations a while back, and at my current chain lube usage, I would have to live to 176 years old to go through 1 gallon. I'd call that oil-free. Also, at the moment when I purchased my plastic veneered helmet 12 years ago, I wasn't oil free. But when I ride my bicycle, I am. Jim Gagnepain

oil_free_and_happy

Thanks manic mechanic. I'll try that!

than depend on the browser to resize it...

Reply to
oil_free_and_happy

Thank you - usually I try and other times I do not. This morning I did not. :)

Seriously, why did you post this powderkeg in a news group dedicated to the repair and maintenance of Hondas? It is like posting recipes of how to cook meat in a vegetarian group - that would make no sense either.

I don't think it is a bad idea to take the bike to work, walk more, use the car less, etc. My reply was not a reflection of how I feel about that subject, more on the what and how you posted. Flaming is a proud internet tradition, so expect it if you go off topic without stating "OT:" in the subject line. Also, the way you come across in your original message reminds me of the "south park" hybrid vehicle episode - watch it and see if you can find yourself.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

E Meyer wrote in news:C0514780.F496D% snipped-for-privacy@msn.com:

Private transport companies are typically under crushing regulations dictating when, where, and how they may (or MUST) offer service, what sort of vehicles they may (or may NOT, or MUST use), and how much (or how little) they can charge.

When faced with rigid rules like that, it's no wonder they go out of business, or end up surviving on subsidies.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"Remco" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

Nobody even commented on my cool Smug-O-Meter ASCII graphic. :(

Reply to
TeGGeR®