One Car for 4 Licensed Drivers

Page 1 of 2
In my family, we have one car for 4 licensed drivers. We brought up our children cycling, and now that they're older (one is a Junior in High School and the other is a Freshman in college), they have continued
the good habit. I commute by bicycle to work year round, regardless of weather, unless the roads are treacherous. My commute is 8 miles.
Nowadays, if I lived in a large city with mass transit, I would combine mass transit with a nice folding bicycle. Jim Gagnepain http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy /
oilfreeandhappy wrote:

------------------------------------
I can tell it's Psychic Wednesday.
Are we supposed to guess why four licensed drivers can't get the Honda to start? :-)
One clue (oilfreeandhappy) tells me you should check the oil level first. :-(
Stay safe, Jim.
'Curly'
Actually, the last car that I personally owned, about 20 years ago, was a Honda Civic. Good little car, but I prefer my bicycle now. It's a win-win - good exercise, oil-free, fresh air...
fresh air?? Yeah right, you get to suck in all the wonderfully "fresh" fumes that our cars put out...enjoy!

For a short part of my commute, this is the case. But much of my ride is on rural roads, with not much traffic. BTW, studies have shown that cars get more exposure to road fumes than bicycles, because the bicycles aren't in the center of the road. Jim Gagnepain http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy /

The tailpipes are off to the side as well.

+--------------------------------------+ \ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 / \ 1 9 / / \ 0 / 10 / \ SMUG-O-METER / / \ / / \ / / \___ _________________/____/ \ / \....................../
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

It's time to buy more vehicles, if you are experiencing scheduling problems.

That's great, but now that they have to be places quickly it's an outdated method of travel, ineffecient for today's travel requirements.

You're one of the hazards on the roads if you ride during bad weather.

Why would you need a folding bicycle? Buses have racks on the front of them for carrying bicycles of those that want to appear as if they rode the bicycle to work. {;^)
oilfreeandhappy wrote:

i congratulate you on your commitment to the environment. if more people practiced similar lifestyles, then we might not find it necessary to fight wars over oil. however, i have yet to see a bicycle that does not use rubber, grease, and plastic. indeed, they will quickly grind to a halt without oil of some type.

by the way, your page would load a heck of a lot faster if you resized the image of the backpack to the size the web page uses rather than depend on the browser to resize it... i was able to get it down to just 27 KB and still have it look fine.
Thanks manic mechanic. I'll try that!

I'd call this quibbling. I ran some calculations a while back, and at my current chain lube usage, I would have to live to 176 years old to go through 1 gallon. I'd call that oil-free. Also, at the moment when I purchased my plastic veneered helmet 12 years ago, I wasn't oil free. But when I ride my bicycle, I am. Jim Gagnepain http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy /

oilfreeandhappy wrote:

HUH? Ok here goes my random babbling:
In my family we have three coffee drinkers. When the kids were younger I was the only one but they started as they got older (one is a Junior in HS and one is just out of college). I pick up a cup of coffee on my way home and drink it with a straw because the roads have many potholes in them and don't like to get coffee on my clothes. My commute is 7 miles.
If I lived in a large city with mass transit, I might bring a thermos with me so I can refill my cup while commuting. Remco
(I always wanted to get that off my chest and since we're telling random stories, this seemed like a good time to do it :)

Grandpa Simpson

If governments weren't obsessed with outlawing private companies from offering mass transit, and weren't so obsessed with legislating transit monopolies for themselves, we might see more mass transit so you wouldn't spill your drink.
A couple of years ago we had an example of this bizarre government mindset at work in my community. As a result, we still have no mass transit of any kind.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

See?? Dont' you guys feel better getting this random rambling off your chest?
As for the guy that started the thread: get a haircut, you stinkfoot hippy!! :)
Profound statement, Remco. I'll leave it at that, and refrain from any other reply. Jim Gagnepain http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy /

oil_free_and snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Thank you - usually I try and other times I do not. This morning I did not. :)
Seriously, why did you post this powderkeg in a news group dedicated to the repair and maintenance of Hondas? It is like posting recipes of how to cook meat in a vegetarian group - that would make no sense either.
I don't think it is a bad idea to take the bike to work, walk more, use the car less, etc. My reply was not a reflection of how I feel about that subject, more on the what and how you posted. Flaming is a proud internet tradition, so expect it if you go off topic without stating "OT:" in the subject line. Also, the way you come across in your original message reminds me of the "south park" hybrid vehicle episode - watch it and see if you can find yourself.
Remco

The description of the group is "Honda Acura". I saw posts about Civics in here, without "OT", but I could care less about that. I'll defend my position instead.
Honda owners are usually pretty Eco-Minded. I was simply trying to offer an even broader way to expand that thought process. Cycling offers that, while at the same time, it is great exercise. Jim Gagnepain

without stating "OT:" in the subject line.
oil_free_and snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Jim, you couldn't _possibly_ be that stupid and I don't think you are.
You are simply defending your position with a ignorant argument:. It is netiquette to first lurk in a group to see what it is all about. If you did that, you would have noticed that this group is about Hondas and Accuras - they are the same cars! You would have also noticed that we discuss repair procedures and address problems on these cars. Btw, a Honda Civic is a Honda, as is an Accord. An Accura Integra is also a Honda civic, etc. In other words, you would have known this if you lurked. So say that Civics post should be OT is disingenuous - stop the insanity, please!

Some may be ecominded, but the two are mutually exclusive.
You come across as smug, in both your original post and subsequent posts. If you knew anything about newsgroups, you know your behavior is considered "trolling" -- google it, as I think you are an internet newbie. If you had started your post with "OT: Who prefers riding bicycles to work instead of cars?", we would have happily chimed in (I certainly would have).
If you say you want us to expand our horizons with your message, learn netiquette or be flamed and ignored. You will not be taken serious with your behavior.
Remco