Ontario Drive Clean Test Question

I have had my 92 Accord tested for Ontario Drive Clean and Failed on NO test.After $350 out of my pocket that those gangsters claimed to do a diagnostics ($150) and clean the EGR ports ($200) it passed the test. But I have a question that bothers me so much whether others had similar problems. Let's see the results first.

First Test : ASM2525 Curb Idle HC ppm 27 18 CO % 0.01 0 NO ppm 783 (failed because the acceptable limit is 467)

Second Test ASM2525 Curb idle HC ppm 44 124 CO% 0.03 0.05 NO ppm 123

As you see it shows an improved NO reading but everything else went up. Since two consequent tests in the same facility gives different results obviously the condition of the car whether it was hot or just driven into the test facility might effect the results. I am guessing here since I do not know better. Anybody can enlighten me what else might be different. I think we, the consumers as drivers, are shafted again by our government.

Reply to
Dario Moreno

"Dario Moreno" wrote in news:t8f6f.12571$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

That's how Ontario got the garages to agree to hosting the tests, by promising they've eventually get their $100,000 investment back by milking drivers for repair money.

This is one reason McGuinty backed off his intention to repeal the smog test: The garages and related associations screamd blue murder about losing money.

It is *CRITICAL* to the results. The engine must be fully warm, and the cat MUST be hotter than hot to work most efficiently.

There is a "conditioning" procedure that MUST be followed for older cars to reliably pass, especially since Ontario has been screwing the limits down each year in order to lop off the lowest 10%.

See my own results here:

All kinds of things.

1) Condition/calibration of test equipment 2) Heat of catalytic converter 3) Ambient temperature 4) Random test glitches.

Paul Coninx, a well-know opponent of such I/M programs as Drive Clean, has chronicled the saga of a Cavalier (or Sunfire, I forget which) that was taken to eleven different test stations as an experimnet. This car failed about half the time and passed about half the time, with some wildly different results. Nothing at all was done to the car in between.

No kidding.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Using a slide hammer to pull the EGR plugs in the intake manifold, shooting some spray into the ports, poking around a bit with some drill bits, and hammering in some fresh plugs.

Steve Bigelow

He made an election promise to cancel this program and not to raise taxes. I, an idiot who should know better not to trust politicians, fell for it. Besides I also wanted to see a fresh face in Ontario. But what a naive optimist I was. Never again. No promise whatsoever can drag me to the polls for the rest of my life. I know its is not honda related but I had to take this out of my chest. By the way what does "cleaning the EGR ports" mean ? I checked the EGR valve and they did not remove it at all. Two years ago Canadian Tire charged me over $100 to "decarbonize" and passed the test conditionally. I checked the web and did not find any procedures but just some sprays into the carburetor which is not applicable for fuel injection systems. Thanks

Reply to
Dario Moreno