OT; Nitrogen filled tires

Hi, Just wondered what if topping up with ordinary air to a nitrogn filled tires. What would happen? Good, bad or any harm?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

not a problem. the question is, why did you bother with nitrogen in the first place?

Reply to
jim beam

Hi, Wife had new tires put on at Costco and they only use nitrogen. When I took the car to a lube joint for oil change they are not gonna bother with tire pressure check because of nitrogen(green valve cap).

Reply to
Tony Hwang

just do it yourself and fill at the next gas station.

there's a small advantage to nitrogen related to partial pressures, but that only works on initial fill. after that, you may as well just maintain pressure with free/cheaper air. you'll certainly never know any difference driving around.

Reply to
jim beam

Since air is mostly nitrogen anyway, you will just end up with less nitrogen in the mix, which was probably not 100% nitrogen to begin with, because the tires would have had some air in them before inflation.

Reply to
mjc1

jim beam wrote in news:Y8ydnWXKhoDKY7HVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

Indeed.

Of what advantage is 85% nitrogen over the 78% in regular air?

Reply to
Tegger

Google "atmosphere composition"

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Tegger wrote in news:Xns9AA047F72250Ategger@207.14.116.130:

it wastes the oney you spent to get a nitrogen fill.

less O2 for the tires to absorb? (internal pressure forcing more absorbtion that outside air.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

that's why you shouldn't waste your money in the first place!

tires "absorb" [diffuse] oxygen from atmosphere anyway. if the tire is

100% nitrogen, oxygen will still diffuse in - partial pressures.

the only technical advantage to nitrogen is on the extreme performance end of the spectrum where you may want to minimize oxygen for fire protection, or water vapor [always present in air] for icing. like aerospace.

Reply to
jim beam

if you allow any of the nitrogen to escape, thousands could be killed.

/sarc

Reply to
JXStern

Yup, Begining with you first, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Oh, the humanity!"

Reply to
LakeGator

As I recall consumer reports did something about this and it works really well........................ at sucking $$ from peoples pockets.

That's about all.

Reply to
Chuck

Hi, Our local Costco tirep shop only uses Nitrogen for some reason. Their price is very good.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

That is as may be but I can tell you this. It works wonders for tires when the temps hit -35F and even colder.

Dave D

Reply to
Dave and Trudy

Nitrogen has less water than air. Because the water in air tends to condense onto the tire and rim or even get into the rubber, the amount of water in the air doesn't stay constant, causing changes in tire pressure with air. However, unless your regular drive is in a race car, the changes are too small to make any real difference.

Personally, I use 80% nitrogen myself. The rest is mostly oxygen. And, this gas is free at some gas stations. It's called "compressed air."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I think you just found their reason. Noone charges much for air ($.50 at a gas-station machine, max). But they get to make money by selling you nitrogen... ;-)

Reply to
Joe

I use 80% nitrogen. It's called air and is free.

Bob

Reply to
road apple