OT; Nitrogen filled tires

Hi, Just wondered what if topping up with ordinary air to a nitrogn filled tires. What would happen? Good, bad or any harm?

Tony Hwang wrote:

not a problem. the question is, why did you bother with nitrogen in the first place?
jim beam wrote:

Hi, Wife had new tires put on at Costco and they only use nitrogen. When I took the car to a lube joint for oil change they are not gonna bother with tire pressure check because of nitrogen(green valve cap).
Tony Hwang wrote:

just do it yourself and fill at the next gas station.
there's a small advantage to nitrogen related to partial pressures, but that only works on initial fill. after that, you may as well just maintain pressure with free/cheaper air. you'll certainly never know any difference driving around.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Since air is mostly nitrogen anyway, you will just end up with less nitrogen in the mix, which was probably not 100% nitrogen to begin with, because the tires would have had some air in them before inflation.

Indeed.
Of what advantage is 85% nitrogen over the 78% in regular air?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

it wastes the oney you spent to get a nitrogen fill.

less O2 for the tires to absorb? (internal pressure forcing more absorbtion that outside air.)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

that's why you shouldn't waste your money in the first place!

tires "absorb" [diffuse] oxygen from atmosphere anyway. if the tire is 100% nitrogen, oxygen will still diffuse in - partial pressures.
the only technical advantage to nitrogen is on the extreme performance end of the spectrum where you may want to minimize oxygen for fire protection, or water vapor [always present in air] for icing. like aerospace.

Google "atmosphere composition"

if you allow any of the nitrogen to escape, thousands could be killed.
/sarc
JXStern wrote:

Begining with you first, LOL!

"Oh, the humanity!"
As I recall consumer reports did something about this and it works really well........................ at sucking $$ from peoples pockets.
That's about all.

Chuck wrote:

Our local Costco tirep shop only uses Nitrogen for some reason. Their price is very good.

I think you just found their reason. Noone charges much for air ($.50 at a gas-station machine, max). But they get to make money by selling you nitrogen... ;-)
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

I use 80% nitrogen. It's called air and is free.
Bob

That is as may be but I can tell you this. It works wonders for tires when the temps hit -35F and even colder.
Dave D
Chuck wrote:

Nitrogen has less water than air. Because the water in air tends to condense onto the tire and rim or even get into the rubber, the amount of water in the air doesn't stay constant, causing changes in tire pressure with air. However, unless your regular drive is in a race car, the changes are too small to make any real difference.
Personally, I use 80% nitrogen myself. The rest is mostly oxygen. And, this gas is free at some gas stations. It's called "compressed air."
Jeff