OT: What the heck do they teach in college??

Page 1 of 7
My niece recently graduated from a prestigious university. Talked to her the other day, she was complaining that her new Honda was getting only 14 mpg. Turns out she was dividing the miles driven by the total
gas tank capacity, not the actual amount of gas it took to fill the tank. Took several minutes of explanation before she realized her error. Apparently she was following the instructions of a friend from school. All that theoretical calculus sure came in handy. Where's the Gas Mileage 101 course when you need it...

That's allright. My step-granddaughter thinks that: Paris-London is one city. Brooklyn is a state. Harvard University is in Harlem. A quarter to the hour is 25 minutes to the hour (after all, a quarter is 25 cents).
And this is an honor student.

Whew, at least she doesn't share your genes! :)
JerryL wrote:

Some good ones I've heard over the years:
One friend insisted there's butter in peanut butter...
A girl my wife works with thought Bellingham was a state (it's a town in north-west Washington state). She also couldn't figure out why all those cars from Washington (DC) were driving around when she visited the State of Bellingham...
Virus Database (VPS): 0538-5, 09/20/2005

Not to mention the number of US citizens who think you need a passport to visit New Mexico...

Chuckle- look at NM's license plates. Pretty sure they are the only state that feels the need to put 'USA' on the plate. Probably urban myths, but I've heard tales of rental companies refusing one-way rentals to NM, because they don't do international rentals, and old-time long distance operators trying to charge international rates to Taos, etc.
aem sends...

Not an urban myth. First hand experience: I was trying to order some parts for a piece of electronic equipment from EG&G in Salem, MA. When I told them I was in New Mexico, the phone guy wanted to transfer me to their international section. It took some explaining to convince him that we are in the USA. In Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA.
--
Bearman
America: Land of the free because of the brave.
bearman wrote:

Shoulda asked him to burn a witch for you...
Virus Database (VPS): 0539-1, 09/27/2005

Pretty damn sad. I sometimes catch the Jay Leno segment where he asks people on the street about geography, etc... The questions are so easy that even my 2nd grade niece knows the answers without fail - even the political name associations. It's supposed to be a funny bit, but I find it just shocking. I'm no prude, and not above poking a little fun now and then, but I just sit there stunned and saddened. There's another idiotic game show called Street Smarts with person on the street questioning of extremely basic questions. Most of the respondents are just clueless. I just can't believe it.
Another thing I find really annoying is newscasters and other verbal media who can't even use the words may, might, and can correctly. They use the terms interchangeably when they mean vastly different things. In weeks of pre and post Katrina news, I caught so many mistakes about these words, that if you took what was being said literally, you'd think you were listening to gibberish. Yet, other people watching the same newscasts didn't bat an eye.
I know a guy who throws cigarette butts out the car window on purpose because without purposeful littering, street cleaners would lose their jobs...and this guy is dead serious!
OMFG, just end the world now.
Abe wrote: <SNIP>>

--------------- Could you be more Pacific ? ? :-) ---------------
'Curly'

Silly - it was the Atlanta Ocean, not the Pacific!
Mike <8^P

Or the word "unique" without a modifier...
Abe wrote:

Phoenix news caster: "Phoenix has the highest rate of skin cancer in the nation, second only to Miami."

One Fox News reporter called Katrina the "perfect storm", even though it wasn't a catagory 5 hurricane and hit most land with catagory 3 intensity.
Abe wrote:

The ever-growing abuse of the apostrophe-S (and plurals in general) is the one that really grates on me. It's spreading from the little community newsletters now to the big dailies and major advertisements. One of the latest to catch my eye was a recent flyer for A&B Sound, a major Canadian electronics retailer: a spot for a Clifford car alarm touts "Starter Kill To Prevent Thief's From Driving Away..."
Virus Database (VPS): 0539-1, 09/27/2005

verbal
like the ones here who think we live in dolphin county.
Steve wrote:

*sigh* My son's tenth-grade English teacher informed his class last week that "Americans spell 'cat' with a 'k', and spell 'night', 'n-i-t-e'."
Being American herself, my wife is quite perturbed... she wants the kid to ask his teacher how many states there are, and if he gives any answer other than 50, she swears to lay beaters on him.
Virus Database (VPS): 0539-1, 09/27/2005

town in

all
visited the

passport
week
'n-i-t-e'."
and she probably spells relief as r-o-l-a-i-d-s.

Why wait? Hit him NOW!
Matt Ion wrote:

On one driving vacation I woke up in Gallup, looked out the window and wondered where all the Chinese cowboys came from...
Then again, in California one wonders why all those junky-looking cars are marked FRONT? Can't they tell from the hood ornament?
--
Cheers,
Bev
Steve wrote:

I don't things have changed that much. When I was in college 40 years ago there were a lot of kids who just didn't get math especially how to apply it to real life situations. As a matter of fact these days primary and secondary schools are teaching a lot more practical things than I learned 50 years. Back then we were give all kinds of made up problems that had little to do with real life. Today, they teach the young kids about money and making change. The problems my kids get in grade school are a lot more relevant than I ever had.
/dan