P1457

I have a 99 Honda Accord and my CEL light came on. Instead of paying the dealer $95 to check it out I purchased a reader and it comes up with P1457. I have done some searching and reading and for the most part it looks like it is the CVS (Cannister Vent Shut Valve?) that is probably causing the problem. How are easy are they to replace? Is there a good place to purchase them from? I found an auction on ebay

but wouldrather buy it from a store either locally or on the interenet since I haveno real idea what the part from ebay is

Reply to
Mike Adams via CarKB.com

According to my 96 accord factory service manual the code is the Evaporative emission control system leak detected. (EVAP control canister system).

The probably causes are vacuum connection, evap control canister, fuel tank pressure sensor, evap bypass solenoid valve, evap two way valve, evap control canister vent shut valve, fuel tank, evap purge control solenoid valve.

I would buy online from a reputable place like majestic honda or something.

I can't answer any of your other questions.

Reply to
halo2 guy

halo2 guy - thanks for the info.

I have seen other people with this problem on the forum. Has anybody actually fixed it and it is pretty simple? The parts seem pretty cheap and I would hate to take it to the dealerahip and get ripped off

Reply to
Mike Adams via CarKB.com

"Mike Adams via CarKB.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com:

Before you spend money and skin knuckles, re-tighten your gas cap at least five clicks, and wait a few days. Light may go off. If it does not, *then* worry about the rest of the EVAP system.

Do nothing until then.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Already did the gas cap thing. I reset it, drove 150 miles, came back on. Reset it again, drove 250 miles, and it came back on. I have had gas cap problems in the past but I think this is somehting different

Reply to
Mike Adams via CarKB.com

I had the same problem two weeks ago. I went to the dealer, $52.00 here for the code to be read and light reset. The same code came up, the part is $91.27 and 1.4 hours labour (plus tax of course). After the dealership resetting the light it has not come back on, and until it does I'm not about to worry about it .

I bought the code reader myself this past Saturday (on sale at Canadian Tire), and it will pay for itself in five uses.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

Brian Smith - thanks for the info. Which part did they replace? The CVS?

Reply to
Mike Adams via CarKB.com

I didn't have the valve replaced. The CEL didn't come on again, and it's been a week and a half since it first came on. They blamed it on the gas cap not being turned until it clicked at least three times. But I always turn it so that it clicks five or more times, and I've topped the tank up three times in the last week.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Smith

-------------------------

Just overfilling the tank can generate a couple of codes, if the liquid fuel gest sucked into the Evap cannister . . . thought I'd mention that too.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_ _

I see some people say check the gas cap. I thought P1456 was the gas cap code and P1457 usually pointed to the CVS? Is it worth it to try getting a new gas cap? Do I need a OEM gas cap or will generic work just fine?

Reply to
Mike Adams via CarKB.com

aaa

Reply to
Mike Adams via CarKB.com

I called up

to verify the part Ineeded. The person on the phone said to purchase numbers 6, 8, and 52 offthe chart
Is that what everybody else purchased to fix p1457? I thought I read people were only purchasing #8 to fix the problem. From what I have read these parts are pretty easy to replace. Is that true? I am also going to purchase a new gas cap just in case and since I am making an order anyway.

Thanks for the help

Reply to
Mike Adams via CarKB.com

Does anybody have any insight?

[...]

Can anybody help?? I have inspection this month and I am worried it won't pass

Reply to
Mike Adams via CarKB.com