Parking brake

It's nice that newer Hondas have a warning "beep" if you start to drive with the parking brake on. I did that once some years back, before the beep, and didn't realize the problem until I smelled
burning brakes a mile along. Just the other day I got a "beep" when I had just pulled out of a parking space. Good thing.
But my question then and now, is why is the parking brake so loose that it's easy to drive against? In the past I've asked the dealer to tighten it up, but it's clear that the "proper" setting is such that, even if you get three or four clicks up when setting it, the car will still move against it even in idle. Are we supposed to jerk the handle up with serious strength, get a few more clicks, and really lock things in?
Maybe the owners manual says something ...